Going against the grain

When I first started (with a Merkur Futur) I used to go ATG chasing that elusive BBS. It wasn't successful. I acquired a MÜHLE R89, ATG wasn't so bad. At the same time, much advice here was not to go ATG and don't chase that elusive BBS. I took that advice and improved my technique. Most of the time getting a DFS. I now go ATG, but not on my moustache area.

So don't sweat it at the moment, just go for two passes, accept that it may not be a great shave each day. Aim for a comfortable shave. Once your managing that without any issues, should you feel the need, try ATG.

Mine's standard as I was advised:
first - with
second - across
third - against
then some tidying up in any direction.
It helps maybe to start with a more benign razor such as R89 and then try a more assertive one, in my case a Braveheart from Exec Shaving.
I also think that one should stick with a blade for a while to ensure technique is mastered. Can't comment on sensitive skin, I generally come out reddish in places but it goes away with Alum and ASB.

A reason your stubble is all over the place is because you're shaving ATG. Start with a couple or ALL your passes WTG, you wont be getting great or even good shaves but your stubble will start falling into place so to speak and it'll be easier to get better shaves from there on in. Once your beard has settled down and your skill level has improved you can introduce a different pass. Remember comfort not closeness is your aim at least to begin with.

If you're doing 5 passes then most likely you are not doing things properly!
That's only for the social media: look me, I did a 3/5 passes shave..... it's a total bullshit to my opinion. You only need one pass and a second pass, would be mainly for the purpose of shaving away the missed bits.

So for about against the grain: when you do it, be very carefully and avoid sensitive area's like the chin. Also I would only do it as the second pass, and also not every shave. Just when I feel like it, usually I would skip the second pass.

Because it increases the chance highly for damaging the skin more, and if you use aftershave lotion that contains alcohol. Then you would feel a burning feeling, which you might not feel if you sticked with the first pass along the grain.

But the so-called influencers with their YouTube channels, they won't tell you this. Instead they will praise the sky about some aftershave balsem, or they even consider having a burning feel a sign of a good aftershave lotion....

But this is just my opinion, but my skin thanks me for not shaving to frequently and to many passes.

Back
Top Bottom