Giving it a go

I happened to see a 'wet shaving' thread on 'The Digital Fix'. It took my interest and for some odd reason I've been considering trying DE shaving ever since.

Why odd - you may ask?

Well, I have no problem shaving with a cartridge shaving system.

For a long time I used (non cartridge) disposables, reasoning that, for a given amount of money, I could have fresh blades much more often than if I used one of the expensive Gillette systems.

However, I was given a Mach 3 and after having it sit around for many weeks I decided to give it a go. I was immediately impressed with the feel of the thing but objected to paying the absurd prices Gillette were asking for cartridges. So I bought a Tesco Matrix razor and did a very careful comparison of its effectiveness. The result, after going through four of each type (Tesco v Gillette) was that there was no significant difference.

Each cartridge lasts 6-8 weeks and, although I have a moderately tough beard that needs shaving every day, I get a perfectly close shave and never suffer from nicks, ingrowing hairs, irritation, or any other unwelcome side effects. (The secret I have found over the years is to use plenty of hot water on your face a couple of minutes before shaving and do (at least) two passes over any part of your face that is not flat-ish. Plus - and this is most important - do not put any pressure on the the blades. Contrary to what I have read, a cartridge system works much better if you don't press - but, like DE shaving, it's a skill you have to acquire.)

So, anyway, I couldn't really justify spending money on changing something that was not causing me a problem. I already get a 'billiard ball' finish (providing I put the effort into shaving carefully. If I just go at it quickly I can feel there is room for improvement.)

Nonetheless, I just cannot get away from the idea that I would really like to try and develop the skill to use a DE razor.

So I have decided, as a first attempt, to try using a brush and soap (Kent Infinity Silvertex Ivory Shaving Brush and Palmolive stick). If this makes shaving a noticeably more pleasant experience I will obtain a DE razor and give that a go. (Although I think I must be slightly nuts for wanting to dump a system that takes 2-3 minutes a day for one that could easily take over 10).

Please wish me luck. I will report back on my experiences.

Welcome! There's plenty of advice and information in our Help section, and several Youtube videos demonstrating technique and providing good advice - mantic59 springs immediately to mind as his videos got many of us (myself included) into DE shaving.

Vetinari said:
...Although I think I must be slightly nuts for wanting to dump a system that takes 2-3 minutes a day for one that could easily take over 10).

... and what good use would you have made of those extra 7-8 minutes?

Welcome to the world of man-pampering.

That's not nuts; these are nuts:
Nuts_zps548a21fd.jpg

Welcome.

How you get 6-8 weeks out of a cartridge I don't know. I'd get a week or 2 out of each one before they would go blunt.

The switch to DE shaving does cause your shave time to increase and does cause you to start buying 'too many' products but you make the time and you make the space. The patience is rewarding, you get a luxury, sophisticated shave and the gimmick of 'multi blades = closer' becomes a myth as you realise the closeness of your shave with a DE is entirely dependent on your choice and technique.

For me it turned shaving from a chore that I had to endure every 2 days in order to prevent my boss having a go at my scruffy appearance into something that I make time for every evening regardless of whether I 'need' it or not.

Good luck with the new adventure. There are plenty of people around here who can offer sound advice and a whole world of shave shop items with quirky names and incredible scents that are at your disposal now you've taken the plunge and ditched the blue goo.

Vetinari said:
I happened to see a 'wet shaving' thread on 'The Digital Fix'. It took my interest and for some odd reason I've been considering trying DE shaving ever since.

Why odd - you may ask?

Well, I have no problem shaving with a cartridge shaving system.

Nonetheless, I just cannot get away from the idea that I would really like to try and develop the skill to use a DE razor.

So I have decided, as a first attempt, to try using a brush and soap (Kent Infinity Silvertex Ivory Shaving Brush and Palmolive stick). If this makes shaving a noticeably more pleasant experience I will obtain a DE razor and give that a go. (Although I think I must be slightly nuts for wanting to dump a system that takes 2-3 minutes a day for one that could easily take over 10).

Please wish me luck. I will report back on my experiences.

Hi there,

Using a brush and soap/cream won't give you an idea of what using a single sharp blade on your face will feel like. Done right, you won't even know the blade's in the razor, but it takes a little while to get to that point.

How about instead get a good can of shaving goop and buy yourself a DE razor and some blades. Skip the brush for now if you like. You'll get a good feel for what DE shaving is like without having to spend the cash on a brush.

Regarding the extra time needed to shave.........wanna hear something nuts? Many of the more 'enthusiastic' members actually enjoy every minute. Seriously, it's pretty weird. Actually there's only an extra 10-15 minutes more than using a cartridge, so the added time is minimal.

Anyway, it's something to think about,

Martin

Oh. did I mention the shave from a DE is spectacular!! Yep, only 1 blade needed with zero lube strips and no pivoting heads. Finely made, wonderful looking, heavy pieces of metal that feel great in your hand. The right tool for a man's job.

majortom said:
. A little bit of enabling from Martin should tip you over the edge.

How was that? I even started to believe a very small amount of the post myself!

Back
Top Bottom