Gillette so nearly got it right!

Two ideas and a whole lot of borrowed stuff have come together nicely! Ishmael's idea of pressing the end pieces of Gillette handles into stainless tubing and mine that resulted in the Merlette

DSC00204.jpg

have combined to become my current favourite handle - 100mm long

DSC00247.jpg

It wasn't finished until too late to get it to the electro-platers Friday afternoon, so I shaved with it as is, this morning - used the chrome New head. It is a delight! Heft and balance could not be better.

The centre piece is bored out to reduce weight, end stopped to prevent water ingress at the connector end. The connector is from a Fat Handled Tech - for the extra diameter - and the Ball End from - well. Both are pressed into the tube. The design is mine but the heft and balance a matter of plain old good luck!

This handle is off to the platers come Monday for a chrome finish. It goes with a lot of 'junk' parts I've accumulated, so I'll have chrome finished Old, New Improved, New and Tech heads to choose from. Ditto for the Merlette handle (Merkur 25C) as there is a minimum charge at the platers. A similar set will be nickel plated elsewhere to give choice and colour match for my BRW cocobolo handle.

DSC00243.jpg

This means, Ishmael, that I will shortly have a lot of unwanted end pieces currently in cracked and otherwise NBG handles.

Unrelated: I believe I've found the blanks for a couple of outrageous shaving brush handles. Watch this space!

My goodness Brother Bechet, how did you use all that spare time you used to have prior to entering in to what I can only describe as shaving artistry ?

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

My mind is spinning. I'm going to have to wait to see the photo once this is completed!
I have a bid in on a parts razor to fit a 1918 '04 that someone chopped. I'm going to rethink this once your through!!

Hmmmm,

Carl, you kinda remind me of a combination Victor Frankenstein/Fred Sanford. Seeing in your post all those DE razor body parts....plenty to keep up with the experiments for a while to come. Bringing new LIFE to carefully chosen bits and pieces!

That seem about right?

Dodgy

See that? I made this into a positive thing. Now that's salesmanship.

You sorta got the hang of it, dodgy. All the parts were carfully selected as being the cheapest available, no-one else bidding deals.

You wait till you see the end product, then we'll see who is a salesman!

Acccording to the totally reliable Wikipedia, Fred G sounds like my sort of guy and reminds me a lot of you.

Bechet45 said:
You sorta got the hang of it, dodgy. All the parts were carfully selected as being the cheapest available, no-one else bidding deals.

You wait till you see the end product, then we'll see who is a salesman!

Acccording to the totally reliable Wikipedia, Fred G sounds like my sort of guy and reminds me a lot of you.

Well, it'll be interesting to see what names you find for the upcoming freak show models. You already got the Merlette, I have the Webly, and Paul has a name for his latest UFO frankenrazor. Can't remember for sure what he calls it, but I think it's Sir Fluffypants.

Oh.....the G stands for Gorilla.

Very nice work Carl, looks great and I imagine once plated will look stunning.

I may be being a bit thick here, but what did you use to make the 100mm handle shaft from?

I get the Tech neck & Ball end press fitted, was that just solid bar that you got knurled or did you do it yourself ?. I ask as I've been trying to find someone to do some knurling for me for ages, but to no avail.

Jamies said:

I may be being a bit thick here, but what did you use to make the 100mm handle shaft from?

I get the Tech neck & Ball end press fitted, was that just solid bar that you got knurled or did you do it yourself ?. I ask as I've been trying to find someone to do some knurling for me for ages, but to no avail.

Hi Jamie

The handle is 100mm in length in total - that's 85mm brass bar bored out plus the Gilllette end pieces - well, drilled rather than bored - but the bores into which the end pieces were pressed were bored with a tiny degree of taper.

I haven't been on the tools for forty-odd years. I cause things to happen rather than be the happening. The first machine shop I found was in the process of shifting all their machines out as I arrived with my little job. The second shop, the one I used, is working all the hours trying to keep up with the work orders.

If you Google 'engineering services name-of-your-town' and look for an address on an industrial estate, especially in a low rent area, you should find a 'one-off shop'. Alternatively, I imagine your local technical college would be happy to oblige.

Off to the electro-platers in a mo - I anticipate an excellent result! Doing the deal is the thing as they have a £50 minimum I don't want to pay.

Jamies said:

Hi I can make you one. I made it from 303 stainless steel.

Having convinced Mike, the electro-plate shop owner, that I didn't want all the bits mixed up he decided to do the heads one at a time. Effective but time consuming so the stuff will be ready next week.

I tbink of an Indian laundry or Mumbai tiffin boxes - every day, thousands of pieces are delivered to the right person - all based on a code made with coloured cotton threads.

Back
Top Bottom