Gillette Flare Tip Rocket ID...

I posted this link yesterday in response to the OP's post on 'the other site': https://vintageshaving.au/razors/gillette-rocket-id-and-information-part-three/
It's a 4 page article - you can trot between pages.
I have an anodised gold 52A Anniversary set Rocket and a cased birth year/quarter US flare tip, which might deserve some pics.
52A Anniversary Set. Anodized Gold finish all Aluminum. Same design as "Rocket" a.k.a HD 500. Razor w/British pointed end caps & "Gap" above the TTO. Marking blade tray "PATENT PENDING", bottom tray left "Gillette" Diamond logo, lower right "MADE IN ENGLAND" A very nimble & unique razor. Weight 29.6 grams / 1.04 oz.
1951Set52A.jpg1953HD500.JPG

Last edited:
I've never run across any Brit ads for a "TV Special" so pretty sure it was a Yankee thing. The USA TV Special was made two years. 1954 with the blue case (a Gen 1 Super Speed) and in 1956 with a red case (a Gen 2 Super Speed) w/flair tip TTO. Also, in 1954 Gillette discontinued the Gen 1 Super Speed and replaced with a (Gen 2 see pic #3) a 1954 Flair Tip. So, in 1954 Gilette has 2 styles of Super Speeds. View attachment 102959
1954 "TV Special" Super Speed

View attachment 102960
1956 "TV Special" Super Speed Gen 2 w/Flair Tip

View attachment 102961
1954 Flair Tip Super Speed (Gen 2)
You mean 1958, not '56. Nice examples though.

We did and we did it better! ;) :ROFLMAO:
I've not seen any vintage Brit ads regarding the "TV Special". So, all the evidence points to the "TV Special" as flash-in-the-pan" Yankee thing. But one thing your folks "did it better" is the "Rocket" Flair Tip. I'm a "Rocket" design lover. Over the years I've run down what I think are all seven of them. Two are the same (Rhodium) handle but were put in two different sets. The #80 and "Travellers Deluxe".
IMG_3779 (2).JPG
All seven 1950-60's Flare Tips (aka Rockets). Razors #4 and #6 Rhodium plated from #80 Set and "Travelers Deluxe" Set. #5 is uncommon Gold. #2 and #3 Blue and Red Tip. #1 is standard/common Rocket. Razor #7 is 1960's style w/ "flat U.S. style" end caps. I also have the cases.
IMG_3786 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Lovely as they both are, my favourite vintage is the #16 British Aristocrat 3rd generation with the flat base plate, heavy weight of 84g and full rhodium plate. That and the good old Rocket HD.

The American short comb NEWs with the common bar handle is another to die for beastie as are the OLD Pocket Editions and Empire set with the gorgeous, ornate handles.

Lovely as they both are, my favourite vintage is the #16 British Aristocrat 3rd generation with the flat base plate, heavy weight of 84g and full rhodium plate. That and the good old Rocket HD.

The American short comb NEWs with the common bar handle is another to die for beastie as are the OLD Pocket Editions and Empire set with the gorgeous, ornate handles.
I concur with your list. I only have two of your listed including a NEW SC. It's one of my top 3 shavers for closeness and smoothness. I find it better than the LC version (which is no slough)IMG_4816.JPG.

I concur with your list. I only have two of your listed including a NEW SC. It's one of my top 3 shavers for closeness and smoothness. I find it better than the LC version (which is no slough)View attachment 102978.
That, sir, is thing of sheer beauty! There may be fancier but this captures everything that is good about its kind. Alas, the only one I have is the aforementioned Aristocrat but I consider myself lucky to own that smasher.

Last edited:
I've not seen any vintage Brit ads regarding the "TV Special". So, all the evidence points to the "TV Special" as flash-in-the-pan" Yankee thing. But one thing your folks "did it better" is the "Rocket" Flair Tip. I'm a "Rocket" design lover. Over the years I've run down what I think are all seven of them. Two are the same (Rhodium) handle but were put in two different sets. The #80 and "Travellers Deluxe".
View attachment 102969
All seven 1950-60's Flare Tips (aka Rockets). Razors #4 and #6 Rhodium plated from #80 Set and "Travelers Deluxe" Set. #5 is uncommon Gold. #2 and #3 Blue and Red Tip. #1 is standard/common Rocket. Razor #7 is 1960's style w/ "flat U.S. style" end caps. I also have the cases.
View attachment 102971

Great to see all the Flare Tips pictured next to each other. Are there any differences between the #80 Flare Tip and a Traveller De-Luxe Flare Tip, other than the cases? I also thought Gillette marketed the Flare Tip for the French and German markets, but not sure if there were any differences other than cases.

I concur with your list. I only have two of your listed including a NEW SC. It's one of my top 3 shavers for closeness and smoothness. I find it better than the LC version (which is no slough)View attachment 102978.

Beautiful SC; my one shows ever year of it's age, but thankfully still shaves great. I thought the SC was an inexpensive depression era razor, so suprised to see it came with such a snazy case and blade box.

B3F56FAF-1FF2-4F1E-9D9D-063A54019A31_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
My favorite is this;

(can't believe I don't have a picture of mine, but I do have one)

1936%20(G4%20on%20blade)%20Aristocrat%20DeLuxe.JPG

Great to see all the Flare Tips pictured next to each other. Are there any differences between the #80 Flare Tip and a Traveller De-Luxe Flare Tip, other than the cases? I also thought Gillette marketed the Flare Tip for the French and German markets, but not sure if there were any differences other than cases.
Just cases as concerns the #80 and Traveller Deluxe. Their vertical lined knurling and and rhodium finery set them apart from the standard Flare Tip rockets. I've read that only the handle is supposed to be rhodium but as far as I can tell, my own #80 appears to be fully rhodium plated. I actually prefer the grip of the standard nickel Flare Tip. I must take a picture of my humble and meagre collection sometime.

Back
Top Bottom