Getting the right angle - How? (and general tips)

Did all of that apart from the end which was just an alcohol free proraso balm. I thought alcohol based products were recommended against? As they just sting for no reason and cause irritation when non-alcohol based can do the same thing without the irritation?

Patrick Bateman would always recommend an alcohol free after shave as the alcohol is drying and can, in some cases, cause premature skin aging. Basically though, for us non serial killers, alum, witch hazel, lotions, balms, oils are all popular. It's just a case of trying " stuff " out. In my youth talcum powder ( flesh tinted ) was often dusted lightly on the shaved surfaces. That kinda fell from favour after there was a scare some years back suggesting it may be linked to certain types of cancer.

JohnnyO. o/

Did all of that apart from the end which was just an alcohol free proraso balm. I thought alcohol based products were recommended against? As they just sting for no reason and cause irritation when non-alcohol based can do the same thing without the irritation?
Some vocal people claim that alcohol based aftershaves are evil and must be avoided under any circumstances.
Nonsense. I enjoy them and I suspect many others do. Some people can't tolerate them and should avoid them. A short sting on the face is hardly 'irritation' and I feel nicely refreshed afterwards. Also, they usually smell better (and longer) than balms. So as always: you have to figure out yourself what works for you and what doesn't. YMMV yada yada yada...

Some vocal people claim that alcohol based aftershaves are evil and must be avoided under any circumstances.
Nonsense. I enjoy them and I suspect many others do. Some people can't tolerate them and should avoid them. A short sting on the face is hardly 'irritation' and I feel nicely refreshed afterwards. Also, they usually smell better (and longer) than balms. So as always: you have to figure out yourself what works for you and what doesn't. YMMV yada yada yada...
s-l500.jpg

+ 1..Forums are Full of Guff Talk about Aftershave's..Aftershaves are Like Soaps..Some are Crap & Some are Good..As Always the Germans Make Top Notch Products..This Stuff is Amazing for the Skin..Thank Hell..Mitchells Wool Fat from Yorkshire Don't Make an Aftershave..:eek:

Billy

cleanse, exfoliate, tone, moisturize.
(alum is thrown in there as an antiseptic and a to take care of the small nicks from the blade.)
alcohol based aftershave has been used as the traditional skin toner before adding the moisturizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What it is with Germans and caffeine? First shampoos, now aftershave? :rolleyes:
I prefer my caffeine in coffee.
Its an Interesting One..In the UK Just about Everywhere You Look is Loaded with Caffeine..From Children Drinks & Energy Boosters to Paracetamol & Other Pharmaceuticals..Shampoo, Bubble Bath & Shower Gel Etc..Its a Disgrace that the UK Government Allows this as Caffeine Addiction/Dependence is Rife in the UK & Elsewhere..I Know as I used to Work with them..I have Seen them Collapse & Take Caffeine Convulsions as Adults Never Mind Children..o_O

Caffeine in Low Doses is a Mild Stimulant & Higher Doses its a Powerful Stimulant..It Obviously Suits the State to Introduce Caffeine to Young Children to Adulthood to Motivate them in the Capitalist Mode of Production..They did this During the War Years with Amphetamine's..Thousands if Not Millions of Service Personnel had Amphetamine Problems During & After the War Years..;)

Now they Have Hooked Our Children & of Course the Dumb Ass Parents..:eek:

Billy

Last edited:
Hi azibux1,

I think I have read through your thread ok. I don't think you mentioned what your prep was before shaving. Hot bath / shower, exfoliate, pre-shave cream / oil, etc. and whether you shave using hot or cold water. I'm certainly no expert, but it could be that your face and stubble need something in the pre-shave stage to help?

I haven't had a job that requires me to shave everyday for a number of years. When I did, I used a £130+ Philishave for convenience that used to do a good job especially when I discovered King of Shaves shave oil. I also used this before lathering when using cartridge razors. Now I use Executive Shaving's pre-shave oil on my wet stubble before the lather goes on. I also exfoliate when washing my face before a shave.

I still don't need to shave everyday. I'm a lone worker out on site and am not customer facing. Occasionally I shave daily just for the fun of it and if I have new shaving gear to try out. I always use pre-shave oil though.

Is the Astra the only blade you have available to use? Maybe get a sampler pack of a few other to see if that helps? Not used an Astra myself, but I have worked through Gillette 7 o'clock yellow, Feather and have settled (for now) on Personna in my DE razors.

Try not to change lots of things at once though. You may lose track of what change has made the most difference :)

Good luck with your quest to find the best shave results!

Blade choice does indeed have a great effect on a shave, as others have mentioned, try a sample set and go from there.

If you dont want alcohol post shave, try witch hazel, even the cheap stuff from Boots, it does wonders for irritation and any nicks or weepers plus it doesn't sting like AS does.

Back
Top Bottom