Gem Junior Handle-Looks Decieve

mpf9ret

Supporter
Supporter
Have I discovered a well kept Secret ? I purchased as part of a bundle, a Gem Junior with a bulbous handle [ Baton ], I believe known as " The Parade".

With it`s bulbous looking handle ,it looks an unlikely looking piece of equipment. However, loaded it up with a Gem S/S on 3. Well, what a surprise, the awkward looking handle, was so easy to hold, and somehow I changed my grip as I moved it around the Face. Ended up with a really good shave, so irritant free , that after washing face off & Drying, just used After Shave [ no alum or Balm ].

Is it the Gem Head that makes the difference ?, as I seem to prefer it to the ER 1912[ Uk model] . I highly recommend anyone who has been put off by its looks, to give it a try. They are readily available on the net.

Mike B

Hi Mike,

It has been noted by a lot of folks that the GEM 1912 and GEM variants of the 1912 are less harsh than their Ever Ready 1912 cousins in that they offer a smoother shave......

I cant really put a finger on it, but a GEM 1912 and GEM Junior feels different in the hand......Wouldn't know what that is........The English 1912s s have an English elegance pressed steel look to them........

FOOT NOTE:
I have been into classic motorcycles for many years and a carburettor that is made in England and an identical carburettor that is made in Italy or Spain with the SAME CASTING will have subtle difference's in appearance and performance.......

Metal is a natural mineral.......In other words, metal is a living force that breaths and is constantly moving and changing its shape and its form....... I believe a metal product can be affected by the spirit of the people that are manufacturing it.......

Billy

Greetings

Although the bakelite (or early plastic) baton handles look strange, I too believe they are one of, if not the most comfortable of all razor handles.

I understand they were made just before or during the war years, possibly to save on metal which did have more important uses at the time! The Baton handle teamed up with the raw GEM 1912 unplated brass head made a utility model razor that IMHO is one of the finest shaving and nicest to use SE's out there.

I too am of the opinion that the US GEM models shave a little nicer than the Brit. Ever Ready's and even the Brit. made GEM 1912's; not that there were many Brit. made GEM 1912's!

Regards
Dick.

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

Although the bakelite (or early plastic) baton handles look strange, I too believe they are one of, if not the most comfortable of all razor handles.

I understand they were made just before or during the war years, possibly to save on metal which did have more important uses at the time! The Baton handle teamed up with the raw GEM 1912 unplated brass head made a utility model razor that IMHO is one of the finest shaving and nicest to use SE's out there.

I too am of the opinion that the US GEM models shave a little nicer than the Brit. Ever Ready's and even the Brit. made GEM 1912's; not that there were many Brit. made GEM 1912's!

Regards
Dick.
Hi Dick,
Yes its performance really surprised me. Makes me want to seek out another Gem, with a metal Handle. Somehow !!! I have acquired 3 of the Baton handles [ bad weekend, when I did not as expected get outbid. Will consider letting one go, to help shed the joy.

Back
Top Bottom