French Soaps

Hi Guys,

I saw a couple of French soaps recently which I quite fancied. One is called Provence Sante and the other Pre de Procence. I've tried a couple of websites but the shipping fees were a bit too much. Can anyone recommend a good website to get these products?

Also, just a general question for those who have tried French soaps, are they any that you would recommend?

Merci,

B

The Provence Sante had a formulation change a short time ago, the old one, which I have is the nicer I believe. MdC is a great soap, yes as Fido says it is expensive but in my opinion it's worth that bit extra for a treat. I tend to use mine on a Sunday morning when the day is more relaxed.

Diqiu-Long said:
The one I really liked much is Monsavon shaving soap as its really a cheap shaving soap with a very good performance and and lavendel scent.

The only con to this shaving soap would be that you can finish one in two months, but i didnt see it as a con.

I agree with you that Monsavon is a good performer, it's just the scent that puts me off, just a bit too much of a toilet cleaner smell for my nose.

Been using Le Pere Lucien lately, lathers really well (well water user), good performer, skin feels great post shave, forgettable scent.

Available here - http://www.gallantandklein.co.uk/le-pere-lucien-le-savon-du-barbier-shaving-soap/

Hiya,

I've used a bunch of French soaps and the one I'd choose would be the Institut Karite. Known for it's excellent post shave skin care, the lather performs just as I like it too. Right amount of cushion and certainly slick enough. The scent's a mild lilac one, similar to how the old C&E Sweet Almond Oil usta smell.

Soaps like PdP, MdC, and Monsavon get most of the press, but I prefer the IK over all of those.

Martin

Oh, never tried it but the IK cream isn't supposed to be as good as the soap.

Northam Saint said:
Diqiu-Long said:
The one I really liked much is Monsavon shaving soap as its really a cheap shaving soap with a very good performance and and lavendel scent.

The only con to this shaving soap would be that you can finish one in two months, but i didnt see it as a con.

I agree with you that Monsavon is a good performer, it's just the scent that puts me off, just a bit too much of a toilet cleaner smell for my nose.
I think the scent might be typical french as I also saw a cheap Lavendel cologne. But yes its a strong smell at first, but I actually really enjoyed it as I finished mine first Monsavon already :)

But I wouldn't want to use it as aftershave.

Fido said:
Martin de Candre do a fine soap - at a price I'm no longer willing to pay.
i got sent a nice sample before Christmas and recently picked up a practically new bowl 200gm

Although it's pricey, it's very good stuff and 200gm will last years used twice a week

M de C is by far the best soap I have - amongst about twenty makes including all the main names from Europe. From memory it's the only French one I have and eventually I'll use it every day regardless of price i.e. as other soaps re used they will not be replenished. If it ever gets to a stage where I begin the question it's value, I'll just forego a couple of beers one week and soon be back on track.

I rate MdC very highly. It carries a price tag to match though.
Monsavon is worth a try just because it is so cheap. The scent is not for me.
My best performing French soap is Savon a raser Bio 25% lait d'anesse. Phenomenal stuff.

I did a test lather with Savon du Midi (Vetyver) hard soap and it built a thick creamy lather fairly easily. I'm waiting to clear some of my excessive soaps before I can try it on an actual shave.
Review: http://shavenook.com/thread-savon-du-midi-vetyver-shaving-soap

Back
Top Bottom