Fops and Dandies.

OK then, could somebody please tell us the difference between a bounder and a cad? These are also terms frequently uttered in the same breath, but after hearing about fops and dandies it would not surprise me if they too describe quite different qualities.

hunnymonster said:
Oxford English Dictionary definition of bounder is “an ill-bred person; a cad”. Its definition of cad is “a vulgar, ill-bred person; a person guilty or capable of ungentlemanly behaviour; a blackguard”.

So a lot of overlap between these two words' meanings. I suppose calling someone "a bounder and a cad" kind of emphasises the point.

Gentlemen
Cads & bounders. I think that when I hear the phrase, I think of chaps like Terry Thomas, Sid James et al. I like to remember them as true ladies men, loveable rogues.

From 'Bounder', a biography of Terry-Thomas by Graham McCann.

"TT was - and remains - Britain's favourite fake. With his sly little moustache, his broad gap toothed grin, his garish waistcoats, his ostentatios cigarette holders and his bright eyed, gleefully 'up to something' way of saying 'Hell -o!' he was blatantly all form and no content, a comically inverted image of the conventional English gent. He was, in short, an absolute bounder............
A bounder is a crafty tall story - a distinctly English kind of free rider. He is a man who is prepared, in order to ensure that he gets his own way, to bend the rules of whatever is considered to be the proper type of adult behaviour, and slip a shiny shoe or two beyond the bounds of gentlemanly good grace. He is neither good nor bad but merely childishly self obsessed: a chronically mischievious, uncomplicatedly flawed and an unashamedly sybarytic old rascal."

A real life example is the professionally plastered newsreader Reggie Bosanquet.

You want more then read the ruddy book!! This typing is killing me.

Back
Top Bottom