Fops and Dandies.

As a result of a recent amiable exchange on another thread, it occurred to me that the difference between Fops and Dandies is not sufficiently understood and present the following for your consideration.
In effect, the one was the utter antithesis of the other.

Fops, in common with the rest of society at the time rarely bathed and washed and shaved not above once a week.
They clothed their reeking bodies with frills, brocade and silks of garish colours, wore the most absurd wigs and full make-up and doused themselves with perfume and their jewellery was excessive.
They were exaggerated in speech and manner, futile and effete, and frequently given to alternative sex.

Dandies, on the other hand were scrupulous in their personal hygiene, bathing and shaving twice a day.
Their linen was plain and well-pressed.
They wore well-cut clothes of plain hue and fit, their jewellery was discreet, and they wore no fragrance more pungent than a little EdT.
And they were witty, erudite and well-mannered.

Therefore, I would submit that to speak of Fops and Dandies in the same breath would be something of a faux pas.

And that, as they say elsewhere, is my two guineas worth.

Thank you SirPrize for such an informative post. It is no 'surprise' coming from you. Now I know why there was a comic called The Dandy and not The Fop. Desperate Dan was always seen with stubble, but I suspect that was more to do with its vigorous growth than any laziness on his part.

Just for the record, which of the two would you say you most resemble? I think I'd rather be a dandy, although at the moment am unshaven due to lack of time in the bathroom this morning.

PS Just checked and it seems that Dan's beard is so tough he has to shave with a blowtorch!

I've got a Beano where Dennis The Menace's dad is using a DE.

I'll scan it in if I get the time (who am I kidding, signed off work sick. I mean if I can be bothered.)

Many years ago in Boston I remember there was a band called "The Upper Crust" who dressed up like fops and sang about foppish things. Apparently they are still going strong.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20t4gBf_1d4[/youtube]

Not bad sound and pretty good gimmick.
crust_pavilion_color_jay_elliott_.jpg

Any dandy bands? (the Dandy Warhols don't count)... I remember Donovan's son (Donovan Leitch Jr) was flouncing around declaring himself a modern day dandy amongst the Britpop detritus of the mid 90s with his disposable band Nancy Boy. Ah well, they don't make 'em like they used to.

Rev-O said:
Adam & The Ants?

("I'm the highwayman" shudder)

funnily enough I was singing 'Prince Charming' in the shower this morning, I am blaming the Fop post which I happened to browse just before I jumped in!!

p.s g-train I edited your post and put the youtube link around the URL in order to show it direct in the forum.Hope you don't mind.
If you look on the menu bar just above the posting window you will see it :)

I would say that Neil Hannon, he of The Divine Comedy, fits the description of a dandy rather well. Except perhaps for his Regeneration period when he went all Radiohead.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.last.fm/music/The+Fops">http://www.last.fm/music/The+Fops</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.last.fm/music/The+Dandies">http://www.last.fm/music/The+Dandies</a><!-- m -->

If you like your tunes Lastfm is a great resource.

Boab said:
Rev-O said:
Adam & The Ants?

("I'm the highwayman" shudder)

funnily enough I was singing 'Prince Charming' in the shower this morning, I am blaming the Fop post which I happened to browse just before I jumped in!!

p.s g-train I edited your post and put the youtube link around the URL in order to show it direct in the forum.Hope you don't mind.
If you look on the menu bar just above the posting window you will see it :)

The Upper Crust? Adam & The Ants would fill those guys in. Oddly their best tracks weren't released as singles (Beat my guest' B-side of Stand & Deliver and 'Christian D'ior' B-Side of Prince Charming) however Kings of the Wild Frontier is a good album. Remember, ridicule is nothing to be scared of. Mind you, he didn't go to my school... :)

Sir Prize
Thank you for enlightening us in what, could have been a total and absolute social disaster! Now that the correct course has been identified, My compass will be set for a gentlemanly True North. Would you agree, avoid foppish behaviour, aspire to dandyhood. My now sadly missed parents tutored me with one rule that was set in stone.
Less is always more in matters of style and comportment.

My father, oft quoted "Be a man, be what you will, but, whatever you are, be a man" I believe it has taken me the best part of 40yrs to begin to understand that simple phrase. I also believe I am still, metaphorically speaking, at his knee, and still learning. My behaviour may appear maudlin and sentimental. No apologies tendered. I am, unreservedly bathetic in such matters, .

Sir, I thank you

Rangers62.
Sir, you overwhelm me.
You may have noticed that this is a pretty light-hearted sort of place, much given to chaff and banter, which is why I am here - and were there seems to be almost a competition to see whom can go off-thread the soonest.
As for your response - I blush!
Thank you for reading it, thank you for thinking about it and above all thank you for the candour of your response.

Dunno about fop or dandy, I like the idea of being a dandy. Then again I am often approached in bars and night clubs and asked by both women and other blokes in nervous but polite tones

'Excuse me, but my friend and I have been wondering; are you Gay?' The reason when I ask them why they thought this? Cos I'm dressed the way I am!

I read a biography of Terry-Thomas, entitled 'Bounder'. TT is a hero of mine. He carefully constructed this persona and lived it for real. I like the idea of being a bounder.

As opposed to a 'cad'.

I like old fashioned styles, brogues, cords, tweed jackets with a silk pocket square, university tie. But I also loved the way Walter Matthau dressed in 'The Odd Couple' :D Thats what I'll look like watching the cricket tonight.....

Back
Top Bottom