Folding Kamisori in exotic Teak

Well I would like to show you a razor of mine I've just finished in exotic teak, well known for it's use in the marine world and ship building, well the razor is without doubt one of my best shavers, a fairly rare model, the blade looks lovely with a true Kamisori grind with an amazing edge, the only real let down to me was the original yet drab black scales we tend to see on most western razors, well I had a lovely piece of Teak in my small wood supply so I set about making them up trying to remain true to a Japanese design I was thinking along the lines of a Tanto blade quite angular in style, well I like to think I may have pulled it off, but I'm more than happy with the outcome, I have the original scales which came off in perfect condition, I will leave you the spec and a few photo's.

HishaKaku 6/8 Extra Very Hard 65mm blade Razor Made In Japan

The razor is NOS has never been used with an original paper case. It is from an old stock at Nichiri Co. which is the one of largest barber equipment manufacture and wholesale company in Japan. It s at least 40 years old. It is very rare model to find even used condition ones . The blade length: 65mm (2 1/2inch) The total length of the razor when it opened: 225mm (8 7/8 inch) The shoulder width of the blade: 4mm (5/32 inch) The width of the razor blade: 21mm (1 1/2inch) The total weight of the razor: 1.6oz.

Jamie.

FotoFlexer_Photo2_zpsde7eb73d.jpg

FotoFlexer_Photo6_zps14cc6d42.jpg

FotoFlexer_Photo4_zpsb1e612e3.jpg

FotoFlexer_Photo7_zps2d223c8c.jpg

FotoFlexer_Photo3_zpsa79943cf.jpg

FotoFlexer_Photo5_zpsea5c9bfb.jpg

FotoFlexer_Photo10_zpsba217d27.jpg

FotoFlexer_Photo1_zpsbb79bf9c.jpg

FotoFlexer_Photo9_zps9c64bfa3.jpg

That's a lovely looking piece Jamie and I think you did the right thing in re-scaling it.

Given that the grind is different on either side, do you shave the traditional Japanese way using just one side/hand or use the western approach and change hands and sides as required?

IanM said:
I actually gasped when I saw that.

Ian

Thank you Ian.

Jamie

UKRob said:
That's a lovely looking piece Jamie and I think you did the right thing in re-scaling it.

Given that the grind is different on either side, do you shave the traditional Japanese way using just one side/hand or use the western approach and change hands and sides as required?

Strangely enough Rob, even though it as a true Kamisori grind, I shave using both sides of the blade and you cannot feel the difference.

Jamie

Love teak, fantastic wood ... once met an old carpenter (Swedish, not Wales like you Jamie) and he had used teak poles for a wharf he built for himself in the 1950s and he pulled one of the poles and carved the surface away with a knife and just underneath was fresh teak wood :icon_surprised:. The wharf was standing in a fresh water lake, but never the less - good wood for damp surroundings :)

Mikael said:
Love teak, fantastic wood ... once met an old carpenter (Swedish, not Wales like you Jamie) and he had used teak poles for a wharf he built for himself in the 1950s and he pulled one of the poles and carved the surface away with a knife and just underneath was fresh teak wood :icon_surprised:. The wharf was standing in a fresh water lake, but never the less - good wood for damp surroundings :)

You are right there Mikael, Teak does have some unique properties when it comes to repelling water, even though it's been well seasoned, I've still used raw linseed oil, then finished the scales off with renaissance wax and buffed to a nice shine.

Jamie.

pugh-the-special-one said:
It is from an old stock at Nichiri Co. which is the one of largest barber equipment manufacture and wholesale company in Japan.

!!??? Just fantastic thanks for letting us see it. Do you have a series of special secret razor world contacts and (without wanting to seem rude) a similarly awesome supply of cash for razor acquisition - some of the stuff you post is just fantastic :icon_mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom