Flat Screen TV's

Well I wanted a Razor and Brush to keep at my Mum And Dads for when staying over...

Razor: Merkur Progress (thanks Pedro)
Brush: Edwin Jagger Imitation Horn, Best Badger Brush (an excuse to spend some of my Crimbo Amazon Voucher ;) )
1EJ942.jpg

Re: Acquisitions w/c Mon Dec. 27th - Sun 2nd incl.

L'Occitane Cade soap in the metal bowl and L'Occitan EDT.

P.aspx
P.aspx

A new Panasonic 42" plasma television - got a good deal from Richer Sounds price matching Sainsburys. Our first plasma TV so it will be interesting to compare it to the LCD we had before.

Finally after the super fast royal mail farce I received a Steve Woodhead lather mug and very pleased I am too.

Yellow Jim said:
A new Panasonic 42" plasma television - got a good deal from Richer Sounds price matching Sainsburys. Our first plasma TV so it will be interesting to compare it to the LCD we had before.

You will easily be able to compare, one of the best things about my old part time job at currys was getting to see just how much difference there is between stuff i.e. plasma and lcd.

Plasma looks amazing the colours are stunning, especially Panasonic, hope you enjoy the tv, make sure to not leave a dvd on its menu screen for hours and forget... or ceefax you will regret it haha.

Blades said:
LCD's are generally brighter..but plasma TV's last longer..something like that..

B

a mate of a mate who works in the telly selling game told me that they reckon, on average, Plasma and CRT telly's to last 7 yrs but an LCD should do 20 easily

but every CRT telly my family has ever had would do 15 yrs minimum, in fact the one i have now is a hand me down from the old boy who tells me it's about 25yr old

Depends how you define last... if you define last as i do, which is how long before you have to fix/replace something... plasma wins easily.
ignoring small things going wrong, main component is bulb versus gas... and the gas like the bulb has a pre determined time it will last, the gas will last longer then a lcd bulb. The other thing is that plasma s are made to a higher standard as they throw out cheap crappy lcd s so fast they dont care, thats why you can get cheap brand lcd s for £230, while plasmas start around £350 upwards.

Plasma wins every time for me, while at Currys biggest returns were as follows.

1. Samsung LCDs
2. Own brand LCDs

Does it matter how long they last? Doesn't everyone replace their telly after a couple of years nowadays? :roll: (oh dear, feeling cynical, must be time for bed!)

Two new little toys to play with:

Simpsons Berkeley 46 in Best
Simpsons Beaufort B1 in Pure

Don't want to invest in much else as just waiting for Fido's new brush to come out.....

just to join in the previous debate.. i'm a plasma owner myself, and I will be until i can see LCD looking acceptable to my eyes. Even the LED backlit ones just don't cut it for me. They still don't do convincing black, colours are still a bit odd, and viewing angles are still average at best. A plasma (like a CRT) can be viewed from any angle and looks just fine. Also because they are based on some of the technology of CRT (the ignition of gasses in a tube as hit by electrons) plasmas generally do a better job of black.

However its not all upsides. Plasmas suffer from image retention, and if left in that state, will suffer permanent image burn. So not one for the computer gamers among you. They also use a LOT more power than LCD's and generate quite a bit of heat. They are heavier, bulkier and don't last as long.

But for ultimate viewing pleasure... its plasma all the way for me. I have a 42" panasonic, and my mates 60" Pioneer Kuro plasma is something to behold!

Back
Top Bottom