First shave with an R41

Got an R41 in the mail today. 2011 version. My other razors are a DE89 and an R89 (same head).

I've not long been into shaving 'properly' and had just about mastered shaving with my other less aggressive razors. By mastered I mean no cuts, and can shave relatively quickly including against the grain without making my bathroom look like a murder scene.

Out of the box first impressions positive. It looks a well made piece of kit and for £22.50 definitely can't go wrong. The amount of blade exposure certainly meant it was going to take some getting used to.

Just finished my first shave with some Harris Arlington cream and some Proraso pre/post cream and I found I really had to take my time otherwise it felt like things could turn bad. I like the sound it makes when its cutting the hair, feels really effective. I made 2 passes, one with, one against and felt like it took twice as long as it does normally. A lot closer in 2 passes than with my other razors. Comparable closeness to 3 passes with a DE89, almost BBS. Small amount of redness on neck which I think can be attributed to lack of prep. Otherwise amazing.

Overall very impressed. If you're new to de shaving and haven't tried something aggressive I highly recommend it. I really think it can help improve and refine your technique.

Just had a thought, maybe all this would be better placed in the review section?!

Tom

I'd agree, I got rid of 5 days growth last night in one pass with an R41. Touched up with a Jagger 87 because the R41 is just too hungry for little touch ups, it will have your lip or ear off.

It does take some care (plus a really bizarre flat angle) but it's the closest shaving razor out there I reckon.

I agree entirely with Tom.

When i first had one, I was so shocked by it that I actually got rid of it, but another came my way via a friend, and I've actually got used to it and really like it. I'm not sure it'll ever be a daily shaver, but it's so efficient, it makes a Slant feel like a Tech!

Ian

Have managed to restrain from getting anymore razors of late, but am liking the sound of this one from most of the posts lately. Having just ditched my Futur due to the uneven head pissing me off i might pull the trigger on one of these.

Would be a wise purchase I think Richard. I don't see it as an everyday thing, more of a once a week type thing I think.

It's worth buying. It's a good looking razor so even if you don't enjoy using it, it looks good out on the shelve.

Back
Top Bottom