First shave with an ER 1912

Wow Bloody 'ell Holly Bustards Batman. What else? Mama Mia Heavy dude Wowza.
I'm astounded. First off I've been using an electric shaver for maybe 7 years. I gave up wet shaving because I'm a bit OCD and couldn't let go of trying for that special perfect shave, even though I was getting older. The bum fluff had long gone. Point is my skin still ain't adjusted fully to wet shaving again.

So after a few shaves with a shavette and a EJ DE89 I just tried my newly aquired 1912. The razor's not new mind. :icon_razz: Impressed isn't the word.

The thing is so smooth I got a bit carried away and used it like a modern disposable, just shaving any which way, as often as I wanted. I just forgot I should be unlearning all those habits which cause me problems with a DE razor.

My neck's a bit raw from going at it too hard but seriously, I haven't had a shave like this for years. Outstanding. The thing even talks as it shaves. How good is that?

For a first shave with unadjusted skin this is incredible. I'm fifty years old with a face like a teenager. Hopefully I don't get the zits too.

I still can't believe it. The razors a class act and the blades...oh the blades. Deary me. Flexible blades? Ya can shove em. :icon_lol:

A Mongoose eh? I could say not interested but I might not be quite honest there. I didn't listen hard as close as it shaved mate that's for sure. The necks a bit red but surprisingly not overly sensitive or painful. Here's some pics. I've no idea of the date of the thing. It looks much better in the hand than the close ups show. The top cap looks quite good actually. Just goes to show what the eye can't see....

debdf9d6-3ab5-48bb-bdf0-71e49d42ddc0_zps223da718.jpg

c4042bb7-8c5d-40c9-9d1d-1a3951318942_zps7cec8268.jpg

ea82c677-7123-41bc-8cc9-1293acc079c0_zpscc8e737b.jpg

The razor is stamped made in USA but the box is stamped made in England.

It's a '30s onwards, made in USA - around 1930, the front comb was reshaped, losing the wider corners of earlier examples. Chain link handle. Nice. By the '40s, I think in the States, the 1912 has all but gone, their Micromatic having gained ground. That neatly puts it as a '30s razor.

The angle is one that trips a lot of folks up who use the same angle on the handle as they would a DE - it's steeper with a 1912. Place the cap flat to your face and using the comb as a pivot, draw the back of the razor away from your face just a touch - 5-10mm or so. That's the angle. Less irritation should be expected.

pjgh said:
It's a '30s onwards, made in USA - around 1930, the front comb was reshaped, losing the wider corners of earlier examples. Chain link handle. Nice. By the '40s, I think in the States, the 1912 has all but gone, their Micromatic having gained ground. That neatly puts it as a '30s razor.

The angle is one that trips a lot of folks up who use the same angle on the handle as they would a DE - it's steeper with a 1912. Place the cap flat to your face and using the comb as a pivot, draw the back of the razor away from your face just a touch - 5-10mm or so. That's the angle. Less irritation should be expected.

Ah thanks for that. 1930's eh. Wonder how many folks have shaved with it over the years. And we think we're being environmentally conscious these days eh.
I can't leave my face alone.

I keep wondering what it's like finding the angle against the grain on the neck with these? I know the natural angle is so different to a DE and didn't know if ATG under the chin is tricky?

LeeBot said:
And to think you almost sounded sceptical about the 1912 in your thread on the Welcome Forum! Fantastic razor.

From looking at pics I thought they looked quite ugly but in the hand they actually feel and look great. As for the 'lump of sheet metal' blades well I'm converted. I'm seriously impressed.

Ben88 said:
I keep wondering what it's like finding the angle against the grain on the neck with these? I know the natural angle is so different to a DE and didn't know if ATG under the chin is tricky?

I don't really think about it when I do ... it just happens, so I think it must be pretty intuitive. On the neck, I think folks would tend to have the cap flatter to the skin anyway, so it just works.

Ben88 said:

I had no problems under the chin with it in any direction. It gives great feedback because it sort of talks to ya. The only part I can't comment on is under the nose as I'm growing a goatee. I could find out for ya but then I'd look like Abraham Lincoln. :icon_cry2:

Back
Top Bottom