First shave with a Gillette Adjustable

Hi Guys,

I guess you've already gathered I've had my first shave with a Gillette Adjustable. Wow, I am impressed. I used a Derby blade and set it to 4, you have to start somewhere. Two passes and a nick later, job done, no hassle.

I didn't adjust the razor between shaves, as I'm not sure what approach to take. So, how should I learn how to use it?

Also, I bought this to leave at the other halves so it will get weekend use, but I prefer it to the EJ89 already. Is there an equivalent 'new' razor? I've seen mixed reviews of the 'Progress' regarding build quality. Does the 'Futur' suffer the same issues, is it comparable to the Gillette Adjustable?

Cheers

David

antdad said:
If you're happy not adjusting between passes then stick with it.

+1. I prefer to do my WTG pass on a high setting with my Slim, then dial-down for XTG. Some dial-up for their 2nd and any subsequent pass(es), but "set and forget" is definitely a good way of using it.

If you like a Gillette Adjustable, why not just get another one of them, maybe a Slim Adjustable would be good one to get as it's different to the Adjustable but shaves in a similar way, I like both my Adjustable, and Slim Adjustable equal amounts.

Lose the beard said:
If you like a Gillette Adjustable, why not just get another one of them, maybe a Slim Adjustable would be good one to get as it's different to the Adjustable but shaves in a similar way, I like both my Adjustable, and Slim Adjustable equal amounts.

I think it is a slim, whats the difference between the them?

I have considered buying another, and would like a birth year. But I had thought that finding good ones could be time consuming and there's no guarantee that they will last.

Cheers

chrisbell said:
antdad said:
If you're happy not adjusting between passes then stick with it.

+1. I prefer to do my WTG pass on a high setting with my Slim, then dial-down for XTG. Some dial-up for their 2nd and any subsequent pass(es), but "set and forget" is definitely a good way of using it.

Cheers, I'll crack on with the set and forget for a while.

I've not heard of a "Gillette Adjustable" as such. Both the "Fatboy" and "Slim" were called "Adjustable" by Gillette themselves, so you can think of them as being the MK I and MKII adjustables respectively.

Hi MidC, wouldn't be overly concerned about the longevity of a Slim. I'd guess that most of the ones you'll see advertised probs date from around the 1960s, so if they're still functioning well (& ever so many are) it speaks volumes for the original design & construction.
Unless you're in a real hurry I'd put a note in the BST section saying you fancy a clean shave quality one & see what turns up. I got my one Slim from one of our own TSR collectors & there are several who pass on cleaned up or restored razors regularly for very good prices. The big advantage of dealing with one of our regs is that you can be sure of their trustworthiness and that you will get a razor as described.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

midlife_crisis said:
Hi Guys,

I guess you've already gathered I've had my first shave with a Gillette Adjustable. Wow, I am impressed. I used a Derby blade and set it to 4, you have to start somewhere. Two passes and a nick later, job done, no hassle.

I didn't adjust the razor between shaves, as I'm not sure what approach to take. So, how should I learn how to use it?

Also, I bought this to leave at the other halves so it will get weekend use, but I prefer it to the EJ89 already. Is there an equivalent 'new' razor? I've seen mixed reviews of the 'Progress' regarding build quality. Does the 'Futur' suffer the same issues, is it comparable to the Gillette Adjustable?

Cheers

David

Yes fella, mainly regarding head alignment. Mine has ended up in the bin due to frustration:icon_rolleyes: and i like throwing my toys out of the cot every now and then.

RB73 said:
midlife_crisis said:
Hi Guys,

Cheers

David

Yes fella, mainly regarding head alignment. Mine has ended up in the bin due to frustration:icon_rolleyes: and i like throwing my toys out of the cot every now and then.

That's put me right off that idea then.

Cheers

Another vote here for the Slim. Bought one last week off another TSR member and I knew straight away that I preferred it over my Merkur. Dialled it to 3 and got a great shave with no nicks. And it's simple to dial down a notch for those tricky areas (under the nose etc) where I tend to cut myself normally.

nr73 said:
Another vote here for the Slim. Bought one last week off another TSR member and I knew straight away that I preferred it over my Merkur. Dialled it to 3 and got a great shave with no nicks. And it's simple to dial down a notch for those tricky areas (under the nose etc) where I tend to cut myself normally.

I am genuinely surprised at the difference between razors. I got on with Boots own (though it can be vicious) and the adjustable, straight away. But I've had to work with the EJ89, though with the barley handle it looks stunning and I don't think it has ever bitten me.

Back
Top Bottom