First shave with a ER 1924 'Shovelhead'.

Couldn't resist this one. It's all brass and I do like a bit o brass. I reckon the 1912 is a fantastic razor and I rate the single blades so it was a no brainer. Bought from the States. Pics taken after a quick clean..
The comb was slightly bent on arrival. I've pretty much got it straight and the gap between comb and blade is as even as I can get it.

1c7a7ff7-c1e3-44b3-a9b5-56e654dd4f10_zpsdoo5p7cf.jpg

So the shave...Well I got a good first shave. As soon as I started I realised I wasn't in the mood. I was expecting the razor to shave badly because of the dented comb. I wasn't in the zone and basically just set to it like using a cheap disposable. I was up and down and round and round buffing as ya go and to hell with it.

Nobody was more surprised than me that I got a very good shave. I find the angle is very intuitive with plenty room for maneuver. Handle up or down for mild or aggressive. I found the sweet spot quickly. Despite the slightly ungainly looking head I found the razor easy to maneuver and was soon zipping around with (almost) abandon.

I like the weight...a bit heavier than the 1912. Like the 1912 it sings and it sounds like an aggressive razor but delivers a smooth shave. Gorra love those blades.

I should have had and deserved a bad shave but I didn't. No cuts or weepers and just a little irritation on lower neck. Reckon I'll take my time and do it right next time and should find the result every bit as good as the 1912. I'm very happy with it.

Did I mention the brass? Oh the brass.

4f94eaed-cb20-447a-8ab1-406365d05ec1_zpsnewyydzw.jpg
[/img]

Mmmm ... brass :D

Good on you. See, folks, it's easy! Regarding the irritation on your neck, almost certainly down to angle. Just as you have to check the angle on your face, it changes when you go onto your neck - the razor is aggressive, so just alter the angle slightly and you'll do fine.

The comb looks okay, but the bend is still noticeable. Handle off, pop the lid off and using piece of hardwood as a work area, bend and shape the comb. It'll come right. I've reshaped all sorts of combs like this and open combs; they all shave well. To be fair, the combs on these are not really used - so long as the blade is level under the lid and in the blade stops, it'll run fine.

What's next? 1914? Micromatic? Heavy Flat Top?

They look lovely in brass, I really like the 1924's but will have to wait until they get back from Hippo in their new clothing before I can enjoy a shave again.

So what's all the fuss about these Feather SE blades I thought. To find out I shoved one in the 1924. The blades are spineless so won't lock into place. I fixed that using the spine from a used Personna/GEM blade.

Excuse the manky razor which I present as evidence of absolutely not being a bit OCD. :icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:

4c40ffab-2921-4a96-9e8a-21685e75694c_zpshdlxh14h.jpg

So the shave...Well it's sharp and smooth. From new it's way smoother than a new Personna blade. I got a very nice comfortable close shave indeed and that's about all I can say at this point from just the one shave. Time will tell if the Feather's worth the little bit extra money, but I like the blade for sure. Funny thing this 1924 just wants me to shave with reckless abandon and I seem to get away with it.

Next up...First shave using a Valet Autostrop.

Dave-the-rave said:
So what's all the fuss about these Feather SE blades I thought. To find out I shoved one in the 1924. The blades are spineless so won't lock into place. I fixed that using the spine from a used Personna/GEM blade.

Excuse the manky razor which I present as evidence of absolutely not being a bit OCD. :icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:

4c40ffab-2921-4a96-9e8a-21685e75694c_zpshdlxh14h.jpg

So the shave...Well it's sharp and smooth. From new it's way smoother than a new Personna blade. I got a very nice comfortable close shave indeed and that's about all I can say at this point from just the one shave. Time will tell if the Feather's worth the little bit extra money, but I like the blade for sure. Funny thing this 1924 just wants me to shave with reckless abandon and I seem to get away with it.

Next up...First shave using a Valet Autostrop.

Fantastic,, going to give that a go with the feather blades !
Fantas

Back
Top Bottom