First SE shave.

Finally got the SE monkey off my back with an Ever Ready 1912, courtesy of Hippo. All I can say is I wish to hell I'd tried it before DE! More intuitive for a start, and I've always loved the look of the 1912, which made it more of a joy to shave with.
Now, I've been getting great results with DE but I still took it easy, trying to remember all the advice from here.
Blade tugged a little to start with but it soon passed. Did a WTG and XTG pass with good results and surprisingly no burn, nicks or anything. Finished off with ATG and low and behold - an absolutely irritation free BBS! I'm shocked. I didn't even get any stinging with the alum!
The best part.......THAT NOISE!!!!!
The razor wasn't the only thing I changed though. Found my wife's old facial sauna when I was going through some boxes yesterday. Instead of my usual shower and Kyle's Method prep, I just washed my face with a nice Italian Almond soap, rinsed and steamed it. Lathered up with some C&E Sienna (thanks Nishy[emoji106]), with some glycerine.

Congratulations! Welcome to the world of excellent shaves without the hangups :D

If you like the noise, the 1914 is more so ... at the time, it was Ever Ready's competitor to the 1912, which was GEM's market offering and marked as the Damaskeene at the time.

I have to say though, Whosthedaddy, Clog Pruf? Really? 1924, maybe, but Clog Pruf? It's only a smidge more aggressive than the Flying Wing which is only a smidge more aggressive than the Feathweight. Pah! It is an excellent shave though. One to add to the list if anyone is a keen SE shaver: the Treet. Late, perhaps '50s and a melding of the 1912 design with the Clog Pruf comb. It's an excellent razor!

Carry on Gordy, it's all good!

Gordy said:
Finally got the SE monkey off my back with an Ever Ready 1912, courtesy of Hippo. All I can say is I wish to hell I'd tried it before DE! More intuitive for a start, and I've always loved the look of the 1912, which made it more of a joy to shave with.

Hi there,

First, congrats on you two getting along so well. I have seen other posts from people loving those 1912 things from the get go so I know it's a real deal and not a goof.

You and I are SE opposites. Less intuitive for me with that odd angle and the handle holding needed. Heh, I don''t see the beauty of most SE types. Kinda reminds me of an old pelican cartoon for some reason. Either that or a big clunky snow shovel.

Martin

Hopefully just the new blade in it, I'll give a few more days and have another go with it.

pjgh said:
Congratulations! Welcome to the world of excellent shaves without the hangups :D

If you like the noise, the 1914 is more so ... at the time, it was Ever Ready's competitor to the 1912, which was GEM's market offering and marked as the Damaskeene at the time.

I have to say though, Whosthedaddy, Clog Pruf? Really? 1924, maybe, but Clog Pruf? It's only a smidge more aggressive than the Flying Wing which is only a smidge more aggressive than the Feathweight. Pah! It is an excellent shave though. One to add to the list if anyone is a keen SE shaver: the Treet. Late, perhaps '50s and a melding of the 1912 design with the Clog Pruf comb. It's an excellent razor!

Carry on Gordy, it's all good!

Re: RE: First SE shave.

Gordy said:
Now, I've been getting great results with DE but I still took it easy, trying to remember all the advice from here.
Blade tugged a little to start with but it soon passed. Did a WTG and XTG pass with good results and surprisingly no burn, nicks or anything. Finished off with ATG and low and behold - an absolutely irritation free BBS! I'm shocked. I didn't even get any stinging with the alum!
The best part.......THAT NOISE!!!!!
The razor wasn't the only thing I changed though. Found my wife's old facial sauna when I was going through some boxes yesterday. Instead of my usual shower and Kyle's Method prep, I just washed my face with a nice Italian Almond soap, rinsed and steamed it. Lathered up with some C&E Sienna (thanks Nishy[emoji106]), with some glycerine.
Nice one! Give an injector a go, too. Brilliant razors. [emoji3]

pjgh said:
Injectors ... pah! :D

I have to agree with Paul, A Gem/ER SE is all you need :icon_smile:

I've tried injectors, but most of the later ones (late 30's onwards) are too light and flimsy for me and the earlier ones I found to be unwieldy to the point of blood loss..

Well, can't stop thinking about my last shave, looks like I'm going to be looking for a few more vintage SE's. Spent most of the day window shopping on the 'net!

dodgy said:
Gordy said:
You and I are SE opposites. Less intuitive for me with that odd angle and the handle holding needed. Heh, I don''t see the beauty of most SE types. Kinda reminds me of an old pelican cartoon for some reason. Either that or a big clunky snow shovel.

I'm not sure whether or not it was because I put in so much effort with DE, that it came more natural, or that's just the way it goes. Couldn't be easier with the angle.
I was definitely expecting it to be more difficult, and I was kind of shocked when I saw the results I was getting. I think the smaller handle made me hold it delicately but it definitely didn't feel like the blade made me feel it would.
I really like the look of them, but then I am going through a very nostalgic time with traditional shaving. I know my grandfather had a substantial collection, and because I was 15 when he died, and all but a couple of his straights were dumped, I feel I should be carrying on the tradition and making up for the loss of his kit. I saw quite a number of SE's (along with a big collection of DE's and SR's) in one of his rooms once, but for a long time, I hadn't a clue what they were.
My father was the one who binned them, kept the "worth a fortune" straights and convinced me to go electric! He cannot see past whatever the latest market driven multi-blade cartridge!
That's my excuse for AD and I'm sticking to it! [emoji14]

Back
Top Bottom