First SE shave.

After reading comments from multiple chaps on here about how good SE razors were and to be honest being a little sceptical due to how good I felt my shaves were with my DE razors, I finally bought a Ever Ready 1912 from Scswalex.

And guys I have to hold my hands up and say you were all completely and utterly........wrong!

It's not good, it is amazing!!! ;)

I was still experimenting with some EJ cream so I didn't have the greatest lather, messing with the amount of water to see how tolerant it is etc, but the shave was just great considering and today my Super Smooth Bay Rum landed so tonight I think I'm in for a real treat.

So impressed was I, I felt the need to share with you guys and say thank you for enabling me as I have to admit with out it I don't think I would of ever tried one.

And again a massive thanks to Scswalex ;)

Yip the 1912 is truly a great razor. Great styling too. Picked up a gem parade (one with the fat bakelite handle) lovely razor too. Also heard good things about the gem micromatic open comb. All razors from the same Gem/ever ready stable.

I really like the MMOC some folks say it's a nasty aggressive beast but I find it relatively tame. Got the pass round clog-pruf just now and looking forward to giving it a whirl and I've a 1914 I've not got round to trying yet. SE's have got me Hook, line and sinker :)

Haha! Beauty! Yes, I'd say all from the GEM, Ever Ready & Star fold are excellent shaves, but the 1912 is a very special razor - all that passed before are lovely, but pipped by the 1912; all that came since are great, but not quite as good as the 1912.

Yeah, we should develop that certain secret nod, like Fight Club :D

pjgh said:
Haha! Beauty! Yes, I'd say all from the GEM, Ever Ready & Star fold are excellent shaves, but the 1912 is a very special razor - all that passed before are lovely, but pipped by the 1912; all that came since are great, but not quite as good as the 1912.

The first rule of 1912 club is......

mikebrownington said:
Welcome to the cult - pjgh will be along to teach you the secret handshake in a minute or two :)

Cheers Mike. :D

Miles853 said:
Yip the 1912 is truly a great razor. Great styling too. Picked up a gem parade (one with the fat bakelite handle) lovely razor too. Also heard good things about the gem micromatic open comb. All razors from the same Gem/ever ready stable.

It really is, I can't believe how much shaving has gotten slowly worse over the last 100+ years and no one (this forum excluded) has noticed or cares. It just goes to show the power of PR and advertising.

That sounds like a nice razor. There are so many new (old) razors I'm looking at now and it's not like I was struggling to blow my money on razors before lol.

mikebrownington said:
I really like the MMOC some folks say it's a nasty aggressive beast but I find it relatively tame. Got the pass round clog-pruf just now and looking forward to giving it a whirl and I've a 1914 I've not got round to trying yet. SE's have got me Hook, line and sinker :)

I really didn't expect it to impress me SO much. I have sensitive skin, especially around the neck area and as much as I can feel the SE blade so close to my skin and expecting it may just rip my face off, it just doesn't and gets so close with no irritation.

pjgh said:

After using the 1912 I can't understand how they don't have a bigger following.

The old down side to following Fight Clubs lead is you can't talk about Fight Club and that's how I've felt all day at work lol ;)

Mike_B said:
I can't believe how much shaving has gotten slowly worse over the last 100+ years and no one (this forum excluded) has noticed or cares.

Hi there,

I have seen this cult like tragedy play out more than once. Everyone loves 1912s at first, until their faces start melting. Then they are sorry, I can tell you!

Anyway, theres a forum devoted to SE contraptions......it's their meat. Been around for quite a while and you can find it without much searching. Yall should take a look over there sometime.

Martin

I think Norfolk Dick is probably Tyler Durdon ... I'd like to season the Seafood Bisque, tho' ... NO! Actually, Operation Latte Thunder! That's mine :D

dodgy said:
Anyway, theres a forum devoted to SE contraptions......it's their meat. Been around for quite a while and you can find it without much searching. Yall should take a look over there sometime.

The first rule of 1912 Club is ...

They'll find the doors to the basement when they start looking :D

pjgh said:
They'll find the doors to the basement when they start looking :D

Funny thing is me being a member there for a bunch of years. You can just imagine how many times a year I look over that way.They are also nuts like the guys are here, and there is a bunch of em. Some good members that I knew from another forum..

dodgy said:
Mike_B said:
I can't believe how much shaving has gotten slowly worse over the last 100+ years and no one (this forum excluded) has noticed or cares.

Hi there,

I have seen this cult like tragedy play out more than once. Everyone loves 1912s at first, until their faces start melting. Then they are sorry, I can tell you!

Martin

I'll watch out for the face melting but so far so good. I definitely know I've used it but not in a bad way, if that makes sense and so far no irritation or face melting ;)

I'll have a look out for it.

So, we now find that Mart is a signed up member of a dedicated single edge forum, but claims ("claims") not to have been there in a year, or so ...

Now we know the truth!

All this negativity about our beloved "contraptions" is a ruse! A ruse, I tell you!

He's a fancier, a collector, devotee, addict and fanatic, spreading nothing more than insidious propaganda with one sole purpose ... to put us all off ... so he can own them all himself.

Rumbled, mate. Rumbled good and proper. We ought to pick you up by the ankles, give you a good shake and see just how many 1912s fall out of your pockets :D

All characters appearing in this work are factual. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Greetings

Ted Pella and Emsidium are both lab supply houses USA based and even without the shipping they are more expensive than buying the GEM Stainless PTFE coated blades from Connaughts; in fact it is cheaper for USA residents to buy these blades from Connaughts and have them shipped to the USA even though the blades are made in the USA.

Regards
Dick.

Back
Top Bottom