First SE shave with Cobra Classic & some questions

Well, after several years of DE shaving and the inevitable search for 'THE' razor (Merkur Future, Mekur Barber pole, Merkur 39C slant, Gillette vintage, Parker 90R, Muhle R89) I finally took the plunge and bought myself a used but mint Cobra Classic (big thanks to Johnnie Stark for sourcing)

For my first shave with 2 days growth I used:

Cobra Classic Razor
Feather Professional blade
Mitchells Wool Fat soap
GB Kent badger brush

I went through my normal routine:

Warm water (almost hot) face wash with no soap.
Build up lather in bowl and then lather up my face for 1 minute.
1 pass WTG
Splash of warm water & re-lather
1 pass XTG
Splash of warm water & re-lather
1 pass ATG with a little chin buffing
Finish with a face wash in cold water.

Given the Cobras reputation I used as little pressure as I could, literally letting the weight of the razor do the work.

All I can say is...why did I wait so long!

I'm 2 shaves in now (2nd this morning with 1 days growth, with a little more confidence and a little touch of pressure) and I can't get my head round the fact that despite this being a new razor to me and the resultant lack of experience in using it, I've had no irritation and zero weepers. With a few more shaves I recon I'm not far from getting a BBS with 2 passes and some buffing.

So a few questions for those wiser & more experienced than me:

1. I've read that insert blades last WAY longer than standard DE blades. Why is this and what's the collectives experience in terms of how long a blade lasts for / how many shaves before changing?
2. I've also bought some SUPER Feather blades, are these significantly more aggressive than the standard Pro feathers?
3. Kai captain blades get good reviews for being less aggressive. Any thoughts on their pros and cons v feathers? I'm loving the feathers at the moment but I may want to 'test' what else is out there.
4. Where's the best place (availability / price) to buy SE blades?
5. Lastly, do you think the search for the perfect razor is over?!

I won't attempt to answer all your questions but here are some thoughts. Go carefully when you try the Super Pro - they are wider and have more blade exposure, therefore. Connaughts is as good as anywhere for replacement blades and you should expect to get double figures from each blade - they are more rigid than DE blades therefore the edge holds up better.

Have you found the perfect razor? - maybe......until you try a straight. I find the edge refinement on a straight to be far superior to Feather blades.

Back
Top Bottom