First driving lesson tomorrow

Well it's only taken me 13 years since applying for my first provisional licence but tomorrow I'm going for my first driving lesson.

I feel like one of those old duffers in "Britains worst drivers" or similar.

I should have done this looooooooononnnnnnnggggggg ago.

Pig Cat said:
Just a little tip. When the instructor asks you to check your mirror, don't gaze at your BBS chin and start gently faceturbating. :?

Ha ha no chance........... it's the owner's (of the driving school) daughter who is teaching me. That said, she might turn out to be a duffer. Ha ha.

Good luck tomorrow - and never worry too much about what 'the line' says at work. We can only control ourselves and nothing more than that. The external environment is always impossible to control or predict, and as a result, pointless to do so as well.

Fido said:
Life will never be the same again. Bon voyage.

Cheers Fido.

The reason I didn't learn before now is that I grew up in a small town in the north east of Scotland and I moved away to go to college in Glasgow when I was 17. When I got to Glasgow I realised that I didn't need to drive so I never learnt. Couple years back now I moved outside of Glasgow and although I can get by without a car (I take the train to work every day) being able to drive would be a massive help. It would help me to see my family more and open up more opportunities for work.

Also when I was on holiday and we rented a car I felt like a spare prick having to ask people to drive me somewhere.

My family have all been really successful in driving. My middle brother passed his test after only 8, yes 8 lessons.

Cant find it in decent quality on YouTube but have a listen here. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://trashcars.net/v/223/bob-newhart-driving-instructor.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://trashcars.net/v/223/bob-newhart- ... uctor.html</a><!-- m -->

Good luck, and enjoy.

Good luck Andy.

Might sound obvious but remember any bits you struggled with for the next lesson, that way you repeat the same mistake less often.

Moody, so long as you use the car, put your name as the Main driver/Policy Holder and the price should come down a fair bit. Put him as a named driver and go with a company that builds no claims for all drivers - that way he gets to buils his too. Last time I checked, Co-Op Car insurance had decent prices, but no idea what their service is like as we haven't needed to claim (touch wood).

andyjreid said:
moodymick said:
......That said, been looking in to insurance on a cheapo run-a-round - holy feck! :shock:

Yeah I know. Another benefit of being a bit older.

What does a lesson cost nowadays? In '86 it cost a tenner with an old instructor called George.

"Turn your wipers off, you wouldn't keep drying your face if it wasn't wet"
We'd stop off at that local offi to pick up a few tinnies and a packet of fags, "good parking practice". Yeah right.

Aye it was cracking. The instructor was pretty happy that they didn't have to teach me to suck eggs with it.

In theory I know how to drive a car so it was just getting into the practical side of it. So I was in an industrial estate where I drove about getting up to 3rd gear. Did hill starts and stops finding the biting point etc and also did a right hand turn at a junction.

Not too bad (i think) for a first lesson.

Tony, my first lesson (todays) was a tenner then its £21 a lesson or I can block book 10 lessons for £190. The instructor reckons I could be doing my theory within 2 weeks and if I continue well with my lessons, I should be passed in 4 months.

Back
Top Bottom