First DE razor?

Hi - I joined TSR recently and have had a few goes with the newbie pass around and I think it's great!

In the pack there is a Edwin Jagger DE89 razor and I have used that a bit and it seems ok, but if I'm looking into getting my own, are there others at a similar level/price point I should be considering?

I know the Merkur 34C is also a standard, is that the one to go for instead?

Thanks in advance!

(If any of you are selling these would be happy to buy second hand :) )

Modern or vintage?
I have one of those Pearl DE89 clone heads kicking about if you would like a PIF, but you would need a handle ( and be warned it needs a bit of a fiddle setting up the blade alignment when screwing the handle up)
Yours for the asking if you want it ( but as I said you would need a handle too).

If looking at a vintage then for a CC head I would always try and get hold of a 1940s heavy Gillette Tech head ( the one without the diamond shape on the base). Modern then the DE89 is a good starter razor, but of course once the RAD kicks in....

My 1st D.E. was a Merkur 34HD (C) a good razor to start with and carry on with as well. Just don't use the blade supplied with it. There is a blade sampler pack for sale in BST most of the time. Just stick with the same razor for at least a month don't be tempted to chop and change.

My first was a Merkur 33C and I have nothing bad to say about it. 34C is also great, but keep in mind that it is a two-piece razor; the handle and base plate are fused so you are stuck with that handle.

I've tried a fair numbers of razors in this price level and, to be honest, they are all pretty much the same. EJ has the best fit and finish of the bunch, IMO.

My first was a DE89 and after buying and selling a few is the only one DE I still have.

(Until Shane pulls his finger out and the Blackland arrives!)

There is a Merkur Progress on BST on sale for stupid money.
It's a great razor, you should definitely think of buying it.

I much prefer the arguably sturdier built Gillette Tech to the modern Zamak razors. To use though, the EJ DE89 is fantastic though. Both need blades at the sharper end though, Feathers, GSB's, etc, to get the best results. They'll both deliver fairly foolproof shaves that way.

You won't go wrong with a DE89 or 34c. Both great razors but as mentioned above, the fit and finish is superior on the EJ. The Barley model is particularly sweet.

For all you youngers out there my first was a Super Speed back in the 50s. I only had to do my chin and but still managed to nick myself. In defense of my technique the only blades available were the Gillette Blue Blades (awful). Then in the 60s it was injector time and what a relief. Great shaves with little fuss.

Seems like lots of positive opinions on the EJ DE89 - is it worth getting the knurled handle to help grip or would the smooth one be ok?

Not tried the totally smooth one by the lined one is fine. Perhaps not quite as grippy as the DE3D knurled one but I never had any probelms with the lined one. Only bought the DE3D after selling my lined one to a mate. There's not much difference to be honest and the lined one is a good few quid cheaper.

On the adjustable front, I wouldn't put the Progress over the Gillettes, I bought the Progress, used it for 2 weeks and promptly sold it. Don't get me wrong, it's a well made good looking razor, but for me the size of the head made it a non starter, struggled to shave under the nose. Might not be the best thing for a starter;)

Back
Top Bottom