first change of blade

lelykins said:
PhilThePres said:
lelykins said:
Only started shaving DE last weekend. Have now got a variety of soaps and creams including Boots cake, Palmolive tube, Body shop Macca root and the latest to arrive Tobs Lemon and lime cream (smells a bit cheap) but hopefully a great shave. I've shaved 3 times with a Derby blade but the last time i had quite a few nicks. Could this be the blade going off or my relative inexperience or both? Anyway i plan to break out a feather tomorrow :shock: am i doing the right thing or not? I have more Derby blades, feathers, Wilkinson sword, Merkur super and Treet. Any reccommendations?

Regards

Mark

I think you might be getting ahead of yourself a bit. I would keep going with the same blade/soap/cream and make sure that your technique is good (lather,blade angle,etc). Also what sort of face prep are you using as this could affect your shave?

Washing my face in warm water, hot towel from microwave lathering the cream up in a warm bowl, building up on face and diving right in there.

Sounds like your prep is good, you could also try applying a lather on the face before using your nuked towel as this also aids the shave IMO. How have the shaves gone since your last post, did you stick with the derbys or change to feathers?

Well, me being me i did neither. I ended up trying out one of the trret blades and i got no nicks at all. Never heard of these blades but they were quite comfortable. Am only going to have one more shave with this blade though and then try again. On the subject why are blades numbered 1-4 on either side?

lelykins said:
Well, me being me i did neither. I ended up trying out one of the trret blades and i got no nicks at all. Never heard of these blades but they were quite comfortable. Am only going to have one more shave with this blade though and then try again. On the subject why are blades numbered 1-4 on either side?
Which Treets are they? The carbon steel blades (which are actually black razor blades) are very smooth indeed for me but don't really cut well IMO. I have also used the Treet Platinums and love them - close, smooth, forgiving,

The numbers are for quality control at the factory, to determine any machinery which needs adjusting/fixing/whatever.

For a long while I thought you could swap the blade round in the holder and use the back of it, for 4 edges, but when I thought about it it's still the same 2 razor edges that're going to be dulling against your skin.

Back
Top Bottom