first change of blade

Only started shaving DE last weekend. Have now got a variety of soaps and creams including Boots cake, Palmolive tube, Body shop Macca root and the latest to arrive Tobs Lemon and lime cream (smells a bit cheap) but hopefully a great shave. I've shaved 3 times with a Derby blade but the last time i had quite a few nicks. Could this be the blade going off or my relative inexperience or both? Anyway i plan to break out a feather tomorrow :shock: am i doing the right thing or not? I have more Derby blades, feathers, Wilkinson sword, Merkur super and Treet. Any reccommendations?

Regards

Mark

Not what you want to hear, but a trip to the supermarket (not Sainsbury!) for a pack of rebranded Israeli blades would be my suggestion. I haven't tried the Treet blades, but the others aren't ideal unless you're super confident and willing to risk a Feather. What's the razor?

Three times with a Derby could well be just the blade going off a bit I'd guess. I don't like Derbys purely because in the past I've found them to be a bit inconsistent, although many get on fine with them. The Feathers are a very sharp blade, so just let the razor do the work & don't apply any pressure. They are a first class blade , but certainly a step or two up from a Derby IMO. The TOBS cream is generally highly regarded by most who've used it, so enjoy .

JohnnyO. :)

Arrowhead said:
Not what you want to hear, but a trip to the supermarket (not Sainsbury!) for a pack of rebranded Israeli blades would be my suggestion. I haven't tried the Treet blades, but the others aren't ideal unless you're super confident and willing to risk a Feather. What's the razor?

The razor is an Edwin Jagger 89. Might try Tesco tomorrow for the Israeli blades. How are they branded?

hunnymonster said:
I would stick to the same blade. Nicks are probably as a result of the blade dulling and a little bit of inexperience (or possibly anxiety after the first nick)

I'd go with HM on this. I'd change the blade to another Derby and you should find the shave improves. Stick with the Derby blades for a while until you feel like you are getting the hang of things and your confidence is high. Then you can start trying different blades to see if you can notice any improvements.

lelykins said:
Only started shaving DE last weekend.
. I've shaved 3 times with a Derby blade but the last time i had quite a few nicks. Could this be the blade going off or my relative inexperience or both? Anyway i plan to break out a feather tomorrow :shock: am i doing the right thing or not? I have more Derby blades, feathers, Wilkinson sword, Merkur super and Treet. Any reccommendations?

Regards

Mark

Hi there,

Ok, back slowly away from the Feather.......heh. Save those for down the road when your technique improves.

You're right about thinking those nicks were maybe caused by very little experience and maybe the blade as well. The problem is, you have no way of knowing at the moment. As of now, your technique is about zilch, and that includes that lather thingy.

Since you have some time with the Derby already, I'd stay with it one more week and then try something different. For all you know the Derby may be great for you, but you won't know it till your overall techniqe improves and you try other blades.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Heh, I just saw what PC wrote before me...what a smart member!

lelykins said:
Only started shaving DE last weekend. Have now got a variety of soaps and creams including Boots cake, Palmolive tube, Body shop Macca root and the latest to arrive Tobs Lemon and lime cream (smells a bit cheap) but hopefully a great shave. I've shaved 3 times with a Derby blade but the last time i had quite a few nicks. Could this be the blade going off or my relative inexperience or both? Anyway i plan to break out a feather tomorrow :shock: am i doing the right thing or not? I have more Derby blades, feathers, Wilkinson sword, Merkur super and Treet. Any reccommendations?

Regards

Mark

I think you might be getting ahead of yourself a bit. I would keep going with the same blade/soap/cream and make sure that your technique is good (lather,blade angle,etc). Also what sort of face prep are you using as this could affect your shave?

PhilThePres said:
lelykins said:

Regards

Mark

I think you might be getting ahead of yourself a bit. I would keep going with the same blade/soap/cream and make sure that your technique is good (lather,blade angle,etc). Also what sort of face prep are you using as this could affect your shave?

Washing my face in warm water, hot towel from microwave lathering the cream up in a warm bowl, building up on face and diving right in there.

I was in this same situation around 3 months back.

I'd agree with keeping things constant. I did this with Derby's too.

Then I got a sample pack and the first blade I tried was a feather. I was wowed.

Only put one in once you have your technique a bit better, like a few months. It's not tha feathers will rip your face off, it's just that there is less margin for error. The shave I got from a feather compared to derby was better in every way. Your experiences could differ to mine though.

Well, I beg leave to differ on the subject of the Derby blades, which I absolutely can't recommend for a beginner. Not because they're bad, but because they are inconsistent - so how is the novice to know whether it's his technique or the blade which is causing problems? It's definitely not just me that's had dud Derbys.

I have to side with Andy (Arrowhead) on this one. Personally I don't fall into the derby haters bracket but I think that the rebranded Personnas (IP) from Tesco im sure they are also exactly the same blade as Boots own brand and the "Personna" branded ones in Asda.

IMO I think they are a better started blade.

Back
Top Bottom