Fiddling with combinations.

Not long after I started with this DE shaving lark, I bought a Merkur 33G.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002CLDUUM/ref=oss_product

I didn't really know what I was doing, but it was gold and looked nice. Problem is it was also vey lightweight and with a slim handle. I didn't like it.

I relegated it to that back of the choice-list for a while, and then recently I tried it out again with a Feather in it, thinking a lightweight razor with a very sharp blade in it might work out okay.

It's been better than okay, I've had some top shaves with it over the last few weeks. So mess around with your combos, epic fails might turn out to be winners after all.

Hmmm
Well current daily is a 1967 Gillette Tech head lashed onto a Buldog Ikon handle with Gillette Bleue blades.

I like it, but expect this combo to change as I experiment and find other heads / handles, I have some feathers that I have yet to try (everyone seems to rate them) and Im looking forward to trying them.

You've just developed a better touch and technique Dave. Same thing happened to me with some early razors I disregarded and that's why I haven't got rid of many. I think in the end you should be able to shave well with almost anything given the appropriate blade.

antdad said:
You've just developed a better touch and technique Dave. Same thing happened to me with some early razors I disregarded and that's why I haven't got rid of many. I think in the end you should be able to shave well with almost anything given the appropriate blade.

+1 on technique improving..get a good shave now with most of the razors i have after finding the right blade..

antdad said:
I guess there's a lot of truth in that, I think also it's not just experience in terms of touch and technique, it's knowing what combos might work better. You need to know the ground rules before you start fiddling.

I'll never use a Merkur blade in anything though.

Back
Top Bottom