Fekking gutted...

... let me paint you all a picture.

Weekly razor clean in progress, usual ultrasonic bath with soap and some vinegar.
Wife has horsey stuff to do, which includes pick up and drop off of people.
Said exercise gets her close to the fish and chip shop, which we opted to be the nights take away (we have family movie nights friday, as none of us adults have to work then)
Downloaded Howard the Duck, which was in the process of being burned.

In said cleaner are now my gillette u2 twist, merkur futur and Standard razor (this was earmarked for the nights shave). It's a full wack 10 min clean, half way in a phone call : Hi dear, finished earlier then expected! at Tom Bells now, home in 15!!
Sweet!!, jump out the bath, soak brush, grab standard razor from cleaner, rinse and lather/shave etc etc.
0.000012 secs after my AS splash woman/food arrive, wooooooot!! Movie Night!!!!
PING : movie finished burning, all is going AWESOME!!!

Eat food, watch movie, proper family time ensues, after everything go to bed.

fast forward to this afternoon..........
Ultrasonic cleaner found, with two razors in them, and one gold coloured Futur that now looks like it has permanent plate loss...

FUCKING GUTTED!!

Sorry, not happy :(

I'll never use vinegar again..
cba to put pics up, migh do so tomorrow..
not happy at all :(

If it's any consolation - I used to work with high end (i.e expensive) gas analysers and once put a gold plated analyser component into an untrasonic bath to clean it but left there for too long. It stripped all the gold plating off the thing and turned the base metal black. That mistake cost over two grand!

AlexNoodles said:
... let me paint you all a picture.

Weekly razor clean in progress, usual ultrasonic bath with soap and some vinegar.
Wife has horsey stuff to do, which includes pick up and drop off of people.
Said exercise gets her close to the fish and chip shop, which we opted to be the nights take away (we have family movie nights friday, as none of us adults have to work then)
Downloaded Howard the Duck, which was in the process of being burned.

In said cleaner are now my gillette u2 twist, merkur futur and Standard razor (this was earmarked for the nights shave). It's a full wack 10 min clean, half way in a phone call : Hi dear, finished earlier then expected! at Tom Bells now, home in 15!!
Sweet!!, jump out the bath, soak brush, grab standard razor from cleaner, rinse and lather/shave etc etc.
0.000012 secs after my AS splash woman/food arrive, wooooooot!! Movie Night!!!!
PING : movie finished burning, all is going AWESOME!!!

Eat food, watch movie, proper family time ensues, after everything go to bed.

fast forward to this afternoon..........
Ultrasonic cleaner found, with two razors in them, and one gold coloured Futur that now looks like it has permanent plate loss...

FUCKING GUTTED!!

Sorry, not happy :(

I'll never use vinegar again..
cba to put pics up, migh do so tomorrow..
not happy at all :(

Ouch!! I feel your pain. :icon_sad:

That's bad news. Go for the replating & cover the cost by having a month off buying other stuff.

Was Howard the Duck as bad as most people remember? I don't remember it being awful, but I don't remember much.

Gold plating leaves eventually anyway, all you've done is accelerated that by a decade or so. I wouldn't worry, so long as there's no FeO on the head of the razor you're unlikely to notice (and then its just for fear of getting any rust into a nick). If the base metal is iron based, I'd put it in a bath of oil if you're thinking of getting it plated.

Try and avoid anything that is labelled "chrome" when what they really mean is chrome plated steel. I'd much rather have the stainless, even though it looks grey and not shiny, its only a matter of time before the chrome peels off leaving some vulnerable steel behind, just waiting for some water to turn it to rust.

eneville said:
Try and avoid anything that is labelled "chrome" when what they really mean is chrome plated steel. I'd much rather have the stainless, even though it looks grey and not shiny, its only a matter of time before the chrome peels off leaving some vulnerable steel behind, just waiting for some water to turn it to rust.

If we're talking about modern razors they're chrome plated zamak, not steel. Most vintage ones were brass.

Alex, I'd contact Hippo and see if he can fix it although I think I remember Dave saying that zamak was not a good thing to try and replate.

I feel your pain, the razor as been said will be zamac and is very difficult to replate. I think they have to flash plate some copper on first. I could be wrong on that.
Alpha the platers I use in Sheffield used to plate Edwin Jaggers so should know about zamac plating. It may cost more to replate than the razors worth though.

Well, finally got the energy to grab some shots (and been ill for the last few days, hence the delay). Dont think replating is an option, unless someone can replate in rosegold. Buying a new one would make more sense, but I wont until the razor breaks down on me, it still does the job.

The funky thing is, the head seems almost unaffected as you can see from the gold reflection (it is, few small discoloured spots here and there). Makes me think what makes the handle different, some kind of coating perhaps to aid with grip or something?

Anyway, here we go :

2wqqwiu.jpg

5zjg9c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom