Feathers question

I tried a feather blade on Thursday evening and I was really impressed after using my free Merkur blades that came with my Futur, no more niks than usual - fewer if anything - still relatively new to DE shaving - I always shave after a hot shower btw. However, I shaved again with the same blade and the result was less so and my face, esp my neck was covered in niks and razor burn was by far the worst I have ever experienced. There are also still a few patches which are not as closely shaven as the rest of my face.

I have read that they should last for 3-4 shaves but I am somewhat apprehensive about using the same blade for a 3rd time, or indeed a second time with a new feather. I have my razor set at 1.5. Any pointers please?

I think I will try a less aggresive blade next time. :(

jonboy said:
I have read that they should last for 3-4 shaves

I think the answer is YMMV,feathers are my favourite blades,I get 3 good shaves with others and 4 consistent ones with feathers(occasional bad blade in a pack is possible),I may even get 5,6 who knows I've never gone that far because with these prices there's no point risking razor burn with a dull blade,what other blades have you tried?

As some may agree here if you want good consistant shaves it's crutial to concentrate on your technique and blade angle,sometimes it feels like a feather is hopeless after the first shave,I used to be like that in my early days but realized it's all been let down by my blade angle!

If you're after longitivity try gillette bleues,they're highly regarded for being very smooth,if you haven't yet tried them,use the pm feature and I'll sort something out for you.

I get 2 comfortable uses with 4 passes in between..I always felt Feathers get harsh under my chin on the 2nd use
A very mild and good bladé is the Israeli Personna..blue and white box as well as Gillette Extra Bleue blades which a very stiff blade so less flex and less nicks as well
Just my 2 cents :mrgreen:

Blades

YMMV is the answer, everyone's different. I only use a feather for a weekend shave, I find them extra sharp and I get an amazingly close shave but it gets binned after one use and I go back to 7 o'clock's for the working week.

Try different blades... just because many people love feathers doesn't mean you have to use them. Some don't get on with them at all, so don't despair.

Thanks for the comments so far guys.

Sorry James, noob Q, what is YMMV? :oops: Your ? May Vary???

I have only used Merkur blades during my short DE shaving career, previously used Mach 3 since they came out and sensors before them. I seem to have got to grips with the technique fairly quickly, even if I do say so myself, although there are areas where I need practice in.

The first shave with the feather was easily the closest shave I have ever had. I have read that some blades change their charactoristics after 2 and 3 shaves, I found the merkur blades to last for 2 shaves only as the one and only time I tried to get 3 out of them I got razor burn very quickly and swapped the blade mid shave.

Im not so much after longitivity, but as above, I would have expected at least 2 good shaves from a feather after reading the reviews. I have a selection of blades that Man of leisure kindly pif'd to me so I will try one of the others I think. Are the Gillette 7 o'clock's comparable with the extra blues?

Your Mileage May Vary. In interweb speak it's come to mean pretty much "you might differ" or "Your results might be different".

Are the Gillette 7 o'clock's comparable with the extra blues?

Not sure, I never tried the bleues. But the yellows are a good all round sharp and smooth blade and last 3 shaves very well even with my horrible heavy stubble. PM me an address and I'll send you a couple of packs.

CanucksTraveller said:
Your Mileage May Vary. In interweb speak it's come to mean pretty much "you might differ" or "Your results might be different".

Thanks! Not come across that one before. :oops:

Thanks for the offer CT, but I already have some yellow 7 o'clocks to try next, I will let you know how I get on with them, very kind offer though. :)

Pm sent

CanucksTraveller said:

Are the Gillette 7 o'clock's comparable with the extra blues?

Not sure, I never tried the bleues. But the yellows are a good all round sharp and smooth blade and last 3 shaves very well even with my horrible heavy stubble. PM me an address and I'll send you a couple of packs.

Feathers have a reputation for being very sharp and they aren't exactly forgiving. I would be tempted to settle for something a little more forgiving. Maybe order a blade sampler pack from Paul at cannaught. Try a blade from each pack, find the first blade that gives you a decent shave without too many nicks and little irratation. Then stick with that blade type for the rest of the pack. Bin each blade after three uses. Thats going to give you a decent baseline to improving your technique. Technique is everything here, it's not rocket science however. Getting a lather that gives decent lubrication is one step. Mastering razor angle is another. Understanding the directions your beard goes is maybe the last step. Working with one "safe" blade type will help you master those bits. Once you have them under control and are getting regular safe shaves with little irritation, well then you can start playing the field with blades.

I find Gillette thins and sharks to be an easy shave, those merkur blades.... Might as well just grind my face into a broken wine bottle.

Hi Jonboy
Good thread as a recent new person to de shaving ivdpicked up loads of tips here.
I have some gillette bleue extras coming from the bay. Pm your address and I willmpop some in the post
I have not tried them yet myself but I'm at the stage where I'm not sure I'd tell a lot of difference!
I'm going for consistency afterreading this. Change aslittle as possible.
Cheers (new seiko arrives from chronomaster next week!)
Tim aka slash.

All the blades I have used so far I have changed after 3 days, apart from the feather. On the second shave it was dreadful, fantastic first shave though, so for me 1 days use. I shave every day by the way.

Slick said:
Hi Jonboy
Good thread as a recent new person to de shaving ivdpicked up loads of tips here.
I have some gillette bleue extras coming from the bay. Pm your address and I willmpop some in the post
I have not tried them yet myself but I'm at the stage where I'm not sure I'd tell a lot of difference!
I'm going for consistency afterreading this. Change aslittle as possible.
Cheers (new seiko arrives from chronomaster next week!)
Tim aka slash.

PM on the way! Thanks! :)
I could tell the difference between the feather and the merkur straight away, but that second shave with the feather....
(Im thinking of another Seiko from Creation ATM :mrgreen: )

man of leisure said:
All the blades I have used so far I have changed after 3 days, apart from the feather. On the second shave it was dreadful, fantastic first shave though, so for me 1 days use. I shave every day by the way.

Hi MOL and thank you for the pif. I have tried shaving daily and every other day with the Merkur blades with no problems aside from a few minor niks but no blood bath and had consistant results with the blades lasting 2 shaves. I will stick to one blade = one shave with the feathers I think.

I will try the 7 o'clocks next.

Your not alone jonboy, a feather for me is an exceptional blade to use if i've skipped shaving for a few days. Removes the accumulated growth clinically without effort, but, i cant use that blade again the next day without suffering exactly what you have described. Good luck with the hunt fella.

Feathers work very well for me on an occasional basis, but they certainly can cause irritation. My feeling is that they're undoubtedly sharp, but not overly smooth. Also, they seem to deteriorate suddenly, in my case after about 2 1/2 shaves, making them an expensive option.

The Feather and Future has been my combo of choice for ages. However I have just returned from 4 weeks of shaving with the Gillette Sensor and I've had the same irritation under my chin and on my neck as you have.

I think that while the Feather and Futur is the best combo for a close shave, it is also a pretty fearsome pairing.

Angle and lightness of touch is the key. The Futur is very heavy, so requires absolute zero pressure. If held very lightly between thumb and forefinger then I find the razor tends to find its own cutting angle. Try dialling up to 2 or 3 so more blade is exposed, and listen for that rasping cutting sound while carefully shaving. Try it against your forehand so that you can see what kind of angle is required.

3 shaves per blade is max for me. Once the blade starts to lose its sharpness then it's a quick deterioration. If you feel the beginning of the dragging, then ditch the blade. I would also suggest sticking with the one brand of blade until you have used up that pack, so that at least you have given yourself a fair crack at getting used to that particular blade. Unless you really don't like them and don't reckon that they are worth the bother.

I find I get 3 good shaves from a feather in any razor I own and can stretch to a fourth but only if I'm careful with angle and no pressure. The sharpness, when used carefully, gives me the least irritation of anything I've tried.

Back
Top Bottom