feathers didn't tickle my fancy....

hi guys, thanks to a very kind pif by Hax (Adam), ive been trialling blades in my favourite 2 razors, a hd 500 rocket & a slim adjustable..

despite the high acclaim of feathers, i was unpleasantly surprised by how violent they were! i can get a bbs with 3 passes normally, no nicks usually, but after meeting the feather, i looked like i had come face to face with sweeney todd.....

just goes to prove how subjective our hobby is :)

i have had lovely shaves from the 7 o clock yellows, & today i tried an astra platinum & it was bloody lovely, & we dont hear too many raves about them particularly..

still gotta try the 7 o clock blacks & gillette super thins, cant wait :) happy days :)

merry xmas to you all, hope your shaving wish lists are fulfilled when the big man delivers, rick :)

Subjective. Yep! I was scared to death of feathers because of the legendary press here and elsewhere, but I found them great, no nicks, no disasters for a week... certainly not violent, I just got a mass of red blotches from irritation.

I'm only just trying them again after a year. I reckon I may have been at fault so why not.

Superthins are well liked here but I find them average. Chinese 7 o'clocks I call them.

Softly, softly is my best approach with Feathers :|

I have a good stash of them and I an thinking that I will leave them for my retirement shaves when I have LOADS of time each morning to go about my business and minimise the risk of a wee nip from the mighty Feather ;)

singerman said:
hi guys, thanks to a very kind pif by Hax (Adam), ive been trialling blades in my favourite 2 razors, a hd 500 rocket & a slim adjustable..
:)

Hi there,

Before you write off the Feather, you might wanna try one more thing. No idea what your slim's set on, but maybe try dialing it down to #3-4 and see what happens. That tweak might be enough to tame the blade and then it can be pretty fun to use.

Martin

i liked feathers for a while, thinking that they were ruthlessly good at cutting down hair on the face, but soon realised that they were just a bit harsh.

Derby's were far too soft to the point of being almost useless.

Gillette superthins existed in the middle of this formula somewhere, but didnt quite do it for me, they were sharp and smoother, but still a tad rough for my liking.

I settled on personas. Smooth, sharp enough (around the same as an iridium IMHO) but very consistent, last ages and just dont seem to have any bad sides. I love them

chrisbell said:
Feathers in my Slim between 5 and 7 works brilliantly for me, but I'd definitely advise dialling down a bit if you're experiencing problems.

Yep,

That's the great thing about being able to sometimes dial in the razor to fit the blade. I love the Feather blade in my fatboy, but only because it's set one click down to the #3 setting. Hah, I should also mention that this blade doesn't work as well for me with the slim, but that's only because I personally prefer the rounder head. There's only maybe 3-4 razors I can use that sharp of a blade in, but when it fits it's a magical thing.....fatboy/Feather combo being one of those.

Hear that OP? Isn't that enough to drive you just a little bit nuts?

So what that means is the rabbit hole just gets deeper and deeper,

Martin

Just had my first shave with a feather today in something like 10 months. Full speed shave, not being particularly careful, 3 quick passes, no dramas at all, certainly no violence. Just a smooth face with not even a hint of blood.

No repeat of the blotches and irritations from early in the year so I guess my technique was poor then. Overshaving probably. I'm glad I've bought 30, I like these now.

just goes to show i gotta persevere more :) i dont have a fatboy to test the feathers in, but i hope to god that santa and god live next door to each other & swap notes, i know wot i am praying for the big man to deliver
x

I use Feathers in my Murker 25C open comb, and they seem very mild in this razor. But if I use them in the Chatsworth Barley they don't go well at all, and I feel sore afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom