F1 Channel

Can you blame Bernie for this? F1 will always need fta but I thought the BBC preempted this renegotiation as it wanted to makecut backs.

antdad said:
Can you blame Bernie for this? F1 will always need fta but I thought the BBC preempted this renegotiation as it wanted to makecut backs.

I wasn't actually blaming Bernie for this - my point was that I think some of his other recent decisions have been questionable. As regards the BBC/Sky situation, I think successive governments have had a rather anti-BBC slant (no doubt exacerbated by the Iraq issue) and this meant that rather draconian budget cuts were foisted upon the Corporation - in addition I think the BBC saw an expensive piece of programming and decided to cut without realising that it was one of the "jewels in the crown" of their sport coverage that they were going to cut. To my mind, whilst I'm pleased (as I said above) that some coverage of every round stays free-to-air, from the BBC point of view it seems a bit half-arsed - if F1 really was a drain on resources then pull the plug - if not, then carry on as before.

I should have used the quote button but my comment about Ecclestone was aimed at Ian (see previous page). As I've mentioned before I couldn't give a rat's behind about watching a motoring procession but everything else about it is quite interesting including who has the broadcasting rights.

Yes, maybe "at the root of" was the wrong phrase to use, but he's certainly somewhat responsible for what I think, quite frankly, is a mess.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom