Expensive sunglasses I didn't know I needed

Northam Saint said:
Only reservation is I've been told, not sure how correct it is though, they don't work in the car ? So I'm thinking I may also need prescription sunglasses, which can be cheap enough. They would only sit in the glove box for driving and there they would stay.

Mine work well enough. They don't go full dark but dark enough to drive without glare. I have to take them off if I park in a multi-story.

@Nishy - Yes - photochromic, maybe tweaked a bit and branded.

Northam Saint said:
Bechet45 said:
Reactolite varifocals is definitely the way to go! Brilliant inventions!

Only reservation is I've been told, not sure how correct it is though, they don't work in the car ? So I'm thinking I may also need prescription sunglasses, which can be cheap enough. They would only sit in the glove box for driving and there they would stay.

The thing is, they need direct sunlight to work, and you are usually shaded inside the car, looking out unto a brighter area. For the same reason they won't work if you are indoors looking through the window to a bright or sunny exterior.

Also, the lenses darken but do not polarise as far as I know, so they won't cut glare from water or other reflective surfaces. Other than that, they work quite well.

FrankieG said:
The thing is, they need direct sunlight to work, and you are usually shaded inside the car, looking out unto a brighter area.

Also, the lenses darken but do not polarise as far as I know, so they won't cut glare from water or other reflective surfaces. Other than that, they work quite well.

Not true! They react to the light condition - full dark in full sunlight. no tint indoors, various shades of grey/brown in brighter light. This may - for all I know - vary with different brands but for whichever brand Asda use, it's a fact.

If you want polarisation, just pay a bit extra. No problem.

Bechet45 said:
FrankieG said:
The thing is, they need direct sunlight to work, and you are usually shaded inside the car, looking out unto a brighter area.

Not true! They react to the light condition - full dark in full sunlight. no tint indoors, various shades of grey/brown in brighter light. This may - for all I know - vary with different brands but for whichever brand Asda use, it's a fact.

If you want polarisation, just pay a bit extra. No problem.

Bechet, this was in reply as to whether they work in a car. Yes, they are capable of various shades of grey/brown, but they do not equal dedicated sunglasses if you use them to drive. The inside of a car is normally nowhere near as bright as the outside and the lenses won't react as they do when you are in full light. I have worn this type of lens for 15 years and although I find them extremely practical, that is one area where I find they fall short.

FrankieG said:
Bechet, this was in reply as to whether they work in a car. Yes, they are capable of various shades of grey/brown, but they do not equal dedicated sunglasses if you use them to drive. The inside of a car is normally nowhere near as bright as the outside and the lenses won't react as they do when you are in full light. I have worn this type of lens for 15 years and although I find them extremely practical, that is one area where I find they fall short.

Perhaps you buy a wrong brand for driving - mine work just fine and have done since whenever. They don't go full dark but dark enough to make the glasses useless for a minute when I park 'underground', as I said before.

There are several brands to choose from.

Cristobal said:
I have a pair of American Optical (in black) that I paid 45 € on Ebay US.

american-optical-sunglasses.png

Theses glasses were issued to astronauts I believe.

americanoptical2.jpg

Probably to protect them from each others teeth.

The polarised glasses are better for glare but they screw with contrast, might not be an issue for you but it is for some.

I use both polarised and non polarised versions, the non polarised ones are better in bright overcast days,. They are good for driving because they take the brightness down a tad but contrast in seeing people and objects is far better than with polarised lenses. More importantly I can read the dash to change the tunes on the LCD display.

The polarised ones are better for holidays and when its really sunny.

If you can't read an lcd with polarised lenses then just tilt your head it one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom