Expensive sunglasses I didn't know I needed

I have only ever had £10 sunglasses. I don't know why. They mainly stay in my car and when they are totally knackered, they get replaced. Usually last about 5 or 6 years I would have thought.
My current pair are now needing replacing.
I also just happened to be reading a book about special forces in Iraq and the soldier author mentioned he wore Persol folding sunglasses.
I had never heard of them and until now would never have thought about spending more than £20 or £30 on sunglasses.
But now after googling Persol, I have this odd desire to get a pair. New, vintage I don't mind. Folding seems the sensible ones to go for. Blue or polarised?
And if Steve Mcqueen loved them, then so can I.

So in the space of a few days I have gone from having no desire for expensive decent shades to needing a pair so desperately that my wife is going to go mad listening to me.
Although I do have a land mark birthday coming up.....

I just threw away a pair of oakleys that have been worn to death and battered since I bought them in Kuwait in 2003

Quickly replaced by a new pair

Great glasses

Ray ban or Police for me I go for quality of lens over design but to be honest you usually get both with high end designers these days.

I have numerous pairs of Ray Bans. I prefer polarised, however they make reading the car lcd,or is it led, tricky
My advice, fwiw, when buying expenses glasses is buy a brand by a manufacturer as opposed to a styling house. Eg ray ban not channel. Mind you that is my theory on most things

I've had several pairs of Raybans over the years. Still have my Clubmasters, I bought in Venice Beach LA c1991. Last year I bought a pair of carbon fibre, polarised Raybans on sale in Spain. Cost around £100 which was a bargain. Very lightweight.

Have had a couple of pairs of Oakleys, but never really got on with them.

BTW Pierce Brosnan wore Persol sunglasses in his Bond movies.

Bechet45 said:
The problem with expensive sunglasses is leaving them on airport counters.

You need a chain to put them on.

SWMBO takes the proverbial out of me for dabbing my glasses and sunglasses down. I did get one of them sports glasses bands once, it didn't survive for long they were a right pain. I'm due a vision test soon, I'm sure my prescription has gone up, so this time it's going to be reactalite variofocals. This whilst another sign of ageing will be handy as changing from reading to sunglasses is a recipe for dropping them. My distance prescription isn't too bad so I can get away without them walking around.

Bechet45 said:
Reactolite varifocals is definitely the way to go! Brilliant inventions!

Only reservation is I've been told, not sure how correct it is though, they don't work in the car ? So I'm thinking I may also need prescription sunglasses, which can be cheap enough. They would only sit in the glove box for driving and there they would stay.

I have a pair of American Optical (in black) that I paid 45 € on Ebay US.

american-optical-sunglasses.png

Theses glasses were issued to astronauts I believe.

americanoptical2.jpg

I upgraded them later with polarized prescription glass.

Back
Top Bottom