Everyday Shaving Bowls Thread

Hi fellow DE shavers, thought I would mark my first post with a contribution.

Firstly, I have been disappointed in the cost and small size of shaving bowls, so have been looking out for something at a small budget and easy to use with a decent size.

So on a trip to my local asda I found this:

[attachment=8345]

Yep, I know it is a dessert bowl but its easy to handle, a good size, thick glass and cost just £1.25........I managed to get 3 Palmolive sticks into it too at a cost of 49p per stick...sooo, less than a can of shave gel and will last months with quality lather.

[attachment=8349]

you can see its a decent size and grip in my hand. And you can get various colours:

[attachment=8346]

I also found these ramekins in Asda for £1.00 each and are a good size and easy to hold with a lip on the side at each end. Various colours too and I managed to get 2 Arko sticks into it which was easy to fit as it moulds like putty;

[attachment=8347]

I have shown a pic below for a good Idea of size compared to other items;

[attachment=8348]

Thanks for viewing my first post and am keen to see what other people are using on a budget which is also effective

Attachments

• DSC02214.JPG
    DSC02214.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC02220.JPG
    DSC02220.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC02223.JPG
    DSC02223.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC02224.JPG
    DSC02224.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC02229.JPG
    DSC02229.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 108
I particularly like the green one it has a retro quality about it. I'm just thinking you've packed three sticks into one bowl so that should last you about five years however depending on your method you might just might prefer to leave yourself a bit more bowl height to generate/load the lather and keep it tidy.

antdad said:
I particularly like the green one it has a retro quality about it. I'm just thinking you've packed three sticks into one bowl so that should last you about five years however depending on your method you might just might prefer to leave yourself a bit more bowl height to generate/load the lather and keep it tidy.

haha! yep, I like 3 years worth, have you tried manipulating Palmolive sticks? Arko are easy and like putty, but Palmolive takes a bit of work!!

I use a cheap and cheerful bowl from a hair-dye box. Black plastic bowl about 4" in diameter and a handle on it. Didn't cost a penny and it does the job. Also have a pile of ramikin things from matalan but they are a bit on the small side.

daz said:
I use a cheap and cheerful bowl from a hair-dye box. Black plastic bowl about 4" in diameter and a handle on it. Didn't cost a penny and it does the job. Also have a pile of ramikin things from matalan but they are a bit on the small side.

I have searched far and wide for decent bowls and found nowt at the right price.....why are they all so tiny and expensive??

mmmm hair dye box....were you trying to add some colour to0 my friend lol

nice one!

i pack my arko into a similar ramekin to yours, i only load my brush from the soap bowl though.

i build up my lather next in a separate empty bowl, this way i end up with a much slicker lather in copious amounts, the bowl i use for this is similar to your dessert bowl, except it is in white pot, also bought for peanuts. like you, i really like the easy-grip base.

The lather then goes straight on the chops, no need for further building up of lather on the face :)

singerman said:
nice one!

i pack my arko into a similar ramekin to yours, i only load my brush from the soap bowl though.

i build up my lather next in a separate empty bowl, this way i end up with a much slicker lather in copious amounts, the bowl i use for this is similar to your dessert bowl, except it is in white pot, also bought for peanuts. like you, i really like the easy-grip base.

The lather then goes straight on the chops, no need for further building up of lather on the face :)

heyyy! we are the ramekins eh! why separate bowl for lather? just wondering as mine whips up a lovely crème on top of soap?

we have very hard water where i live, the brush needs a lot of swirling in a fresh bowl to build up a lather, after being loaded with soap from a puck......., face lathering is an absolute no-no, ive tried it many times, with all combinations of soap n water... - i cant believe it when i see videos where someone has a quick swirl on the soap then applies to face & it lathers to perfection, i would face lather if it was that easy here :) shavers would get a true shock if they visited here... :)

singerman said:
we have very hard water where i live, the brush needs a lot of swirling in a fresh bowl to build up a lather, after being loaded with soap from a puck......., face lathering is an absolute no-no, ive tried it many times, with all combinations of soap n water... - i cant believe it when i see videos where someone has a quick swirl on the soap then applies to face & it lathers to perfection, i would face lather if it was that easy here :) shavers would get a true shock if they visited here... :)

didn't realise it was all about the water, am learning everyday ;)

how about getting a waterbut and collecting rainwater??? haha!

Robah said:

hehehe, my wife dyes her hair my friend............honest!

I shave my head to hide the greys, I first shaved it off after getting fed up with people pulling my hair while playing rugby. I started growing it again a couple of years ago, lasted 3 weeks before I looked like a tumble dried tennis ball with thick, spikey grey hairs sticking out all over the place.

If you know someone that dyes their hair then you can usually scrounge one for free. if not have a look HERE

daz said:
Robah said:

hehehe, my wife dyes her hair my friend............honest!

I shave my head to hide the greys, I first shaved it off after getting fed up with people pulling my hair while playing rugby. I started growing it again a couple of years ago, lasted 3 weeks before I looked like a tumble dried tennis ball with thick, spikey grey hairs sticking out all over the place.

If you know someone that dyes their hair then you can usually scrounge one for free. if not have a look

lol at tumble dried tennis ball with spikey grey hairs!!! great bowl Daz, but I have loadsa friggin bowls now! haha!

Fido said:
Loads of old china bowls at Lymington market today on a charity stall from 25p, many would have made fine shaving bowls.

can you send me some, as I am a new guy here??? lol I need pics of them ;-)

Welcome Robah and thanks for posting pictures of your shaving bowls.

The post title was such an interesting one that I thought I'd post a photo of my shaving bowls along with a brief description of each.
Hope you don't mind the thread hijack.

ShaveBowls_zps04e425d7.jpg

In order of acquisition: (Pedestal bowl is 15cm diameter, others are 12 cm)
  1. Stainless Steel Korean Rice Bowl
    Fills the palm of your hand but a little too shallow. Surface too smooth so takes more work to get a good lather.
  2. Steve Woodhead Scuttle #1B.
    Ridges make lathering much quicker and scuttle keeps everything nice and warm, especially in winter. A little on the shallow side for me though.
  3. Collapsible Silicone Dog Bowl
    For holidays. Light, collapses into nothing and is a decent size. A bit wobbly but does the job good enough.
  4. Steve Woodhead Pedestal #2
    Everyday use now. Good size, easy to hold, good ridges. Just right.
  5. Greek textured bowl
    The pattern is embossed/raised and I think this helps generate lather. Looks good and works well but I should've bought a larger sized one.
  6. Silicone mat, from Poundland
    Not a shaving bowl but I use it as a mat under the bowl when placed on or near the sink. Saves scratching the sink surface and stops the bowl slipping.
I still keep an eye out for more and keep lusting after a Schwarzweisskeramik scuttle but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

fancontroller said:
Welcome Robah and thanks for posting pictures of your shaving bowls.

The post title was such an interesting one that I thought I'd post a photo of my shaving bowls along with a brief description of each.
Hope you don't mind the thread hijack.

ShaveBowls_zps04e425d7.jpg

In order of acquisition: (Pedestal bowl is 15cm diameter, others are 12 cm)
  1. Stainless Steel Korean Rice Bowl
    Fills the palm of your hand but a little too shallow. Surface too smooth so takes more work to get a good lather.
  2. Steve Woodhead Scuttle #1B.
    Ridges make lathering much quicker and scuttle keeps everything nice and warm, especially in winter. A little on the shallow side for me though.
  3. Collapsible Silicone Dog Bowl
    For holidays. Light, collapses into nothing and is a decent size. A bit wobbly but does the job good enough.
  4. Steve Woodhead Pedestal #2
    Everyday use now. Good size, easy to hold, good ridges. Just right.
  5. Greek textured bowl
    The pattern is embossed/raised and I think this helps generate lather. Looks good and works well but I should've bought a larger sized one.
  6. Silicone mat, from Poundland
    Not a shaving bowl but I use it as a mat under the bowl when placed on or near the sink. Saves scratching the sink surface and stops the bowl slipping.
I still keep an eye out for more and keep lusting after a scuttle but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

what a great collection! I really want the blue n orange one! will pay top dollar for them......

+1 for ASDA ramekins. Filled them with soaps bought off year, enough for my lifetime. I lather and drip into a latte cup.

I see no one has lids for their soaps. I stack my ramekins and take from the bottom each time I shave so I guess they don't get time to dry out.

Back
Top Bottom