Every Day and Best Blades?

Does anybody have a two tier selection of blades they use - maybe cheap ones they consider reliable enough to just get the job done so use regularly, and then others they consider sharper or smoother (or pricier) but rate highly and so maybe use less often?
I like 7 o'clock greens, Bleues, Rapira, Tiger but today I used a Derby and might get some of my bulk of Supermax down a bit over the next few weeks

I think after my failed attempts I'm going to have to use up my Derbys. Perhaps a sleeve, then treat myself by using 7 o'clock greens or yellows!

However, I am still sampling so an even better blade for my skin type might come up.

Nah, not really. I used to shave with 7 o'clock green / yellow daily and then save a Feather for a weekend "treat" but I was getting irritated by them so it wasn't all that much of a treat! I just stick to 7 o'clocks now.

I am off and away to the USA very early in the morning. The test is which pack of blades I will take. It will be a yellow pack.

Rod

Having used a fair amount of different blades, I also came to the same conclusion as Dipesh lifes to short. I only use Feather and Gillette super thins, the Feather in my Feather AS-D1 and the super thins in my Merkur 34C-HD. And i'm not in the slightest bit interested in trying any other makes.

Jamie

I tend to use Astra SP's on a daily basis as they perform really well in my Super Speeds ... though I've recently tried Super Thins and have ordered a fair amount of them too.
I only use Feathers in my Futur - but given that gets seldom used my pack of Feathers may last over a year.

I used to do this, but these days I use Iridiums most of the time. The only exception is when I use a Feather in my Feather AS. For some reason that combination works exceedingly well.

Interesting replies.
I knew various 7 o'clocks, super thins and the Feathers would come up!

It's strange... my tastes have changed a lot in the last few months, even though I've been DE shaving for about two years. I quickly dismissed Derbies due to irritation and for ages the Israeli Personnas were my choice. Then I realised I could get a quick comfortable shave from the widely available and cheap blue Supermaxes... then Feathers made me realise there were far sharper (and more expensive) blades out there and so I tried to find cheaper but nearly as sharp blades, leading me on to the whole Gillette range.

I still don't consistently use one blade for long, but that's probably because I have too many and too many types!

For every day easy shaving i use Shark SS (might be supplementing with Racer shortly).

Not tried the super thins i have yet but like feathers and gillette greens.

Still got loads at home to try as well.

Just feathers for me with the odd bolzano superinox for a change.

I like sharp blades anything else feels like its sort of pulling the hairs out!

Hiya,

Found my go to blade years ago, and that's what's used almost all the time and also when I try a new to me razor. The only other blade i use regularly would be a Feather, but only in certain razors. Ocasionally I'll treat myself and use a vintage Schick or Personna blade, but i have very few so that's a rare deal. Some of those are as good a blade as I've tried.

I'm always willing to try a new blade, since it only takes one pass or less to know if it's a good fit. I've tried lots of good blades over the years, but very few perfect ones. I very rarely ever use the good ones like the old UK made Wilkinsons......,maybe for one shave just for the heck of it.

Martin

Garbe said:
What is your go to blade dodgy? And everyone else that hasn't said already.

Hi there,

The Iridium seems to be the best all around fit for me, although I could easily use the Gillette SharpEdge(yellow) in it's place if needed.

Unfortunately, the iridium has been very tough to find for about year or so. Few if any vendors stock em because of no availability. You'll hear these blades being described as sharp but forgiving. That makes for a nice smooth combination.

Seriously though, those SharpEdge blades are well worth a try,.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom