Ever Ready 1905-06

Hi guys,
I've just bought me first SE (I mostly use straights). While it's on its way across the Atlantic I'd like to fund out a big more about it. All I know is that it's an ever ready 1905-06. That's all I've got.
Any info on it would be great. Also, am I right to assume it will take current GEM blades OK?

imagejpg1_zps07520e30.jpg

imagejpg5_zpsb90c30d7.jpg
imagejpg3_zps59c61d1a.jpg
imagejpg6_zps49856052.jpg

Cheers,
Mike

Yes, it will take a modern GEM blade which is exactly the same size as the blade pictured.

My usual source of information, the Waits Compendium, is exceedingly light on the matter, other than a picture of the razor you have (boxed, with two "Sharp" blade boxes) and the single line of text "American Safety Razor Co. Inc., New York, NY".

11ugsd5.jpg

15dqjqp.jpg

Enjoy! It looks like a good one.

Oh, these old razors love being fondled with a yellow duster - they really shine with a little love.

Hi Paul, what would be the right equipment to strop these blades? Also, what are your thoughts on stropping the coated Gems. I read an old article on one of the sites which specifically was against hand stropping, as per them it did not do anything other than transferring oils from the hand which lubricates the blade. I have been hand stropping but I was wondering if it is better to use a strop.

I would not bother stropping modern blades at all ... perhaps a quick hand strop prior to the first shave, but the edges are triple faceted, meaning they have three angles at the cutting edge and you're not going to be able to repeat that with the equipment that we have available.

The old blades have a single angle on the edge, so do respond to honing and stropping.

To strop the old blades, you'll need a strop and a stropper - both GEM and Ever Ready (and Star) made them:

2Gem%204%20handles.JPG

Back
Top Bottom