Ever get the one blade in a pack which gives you a bad rash?

Hey guys, right...I thought I was getting used to this DE shaving stuff but I've recently broken out in a pretty bad rash all across the front of my chin and neck, a bit along my jaw...literally everywhere really :oops:

I'm pretty sure my kit is ok, I'm using an Edwin Jagger DE, Derby blades, Taylors of old bond street cream and a badger brush, I prep with a few drops of baby oil and I use alum, witch hazel and an aftershave balm with vitamin E and aloe vera. Also my technique has got better, I'm using a really light touch and never go against the grain. However, this past few days I seem to be getting an increasingly bad rash which, quite honestly, will soon be at the point of looking worse than not shaving at all.

Is it possible that the last new blade I put in (although the exact same make) is somehow responsible for irritating my skin? Could it be that I'm shaving too close - I've taken to stretching my skin out a little to help the blade on its way. Or finally - as I do suffer from the odd pimple - could shaving over these somehow have spread a little infection to the rest of my pores? I'm not really getting any burn by the way, just an itching and a slight stingy feeling when I rub my hand over my face the next day.

Thanks for any advice guys, I'm enjoying the pampering my skin is getting but if I don't get good results soon I may have to reconsider my clean shaven future! :?

Re: Ever get the one blade in a pack which gives you a bad r

It's possible that the blades are not all equal for sure - that's one of the complaints levelled at Derby Extra - they're generally good, but there's the occasional bad apple.

Also possible that stretching your skin is allowing you to shave too close.

Also possible that your prep is slightly over elaborate... me I shower, rinse my face with warm water and lather on that. Shave (lathering between each pass) and then rise with cold water. Then apply after shave lotion...

First thing i would do is stop shaving for a few days to let the rash settle down!

Have you changed anything from your normal kit that could be the problem??

Try using Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow blades for your EJ DE. I ditched Derbys for them and the difference is night and day.

Twinnumber2 said:
Try using Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow blades for your EJ DE. I ditched Derbys for them and the difference is night and day.

This^^^ pm me your address i'll send you a few packs to try!

Remove baby oil, then alum and I'd add an aftershave at some point.

I'd try stopping the prep, just shave, and apply nothing, or maybe just a moistrising balm/cream.
I sound like one of those 'panel of experts' :)
regards, beejay

moodymick said:
Get back to basics: Wash, Shave, pat Dry. That's it, well maybe a little something if you suffer from dry skin - but nothing flamboyant: E45 or sudacreme(?)

+1 & take advantage of the kind offer of a coupla packs of different blades.

Best of luck.

JohnnyO. :geek:

I would definitely ditch the baby oil, that's not what it's made for, and it's far to viscus to be used as a shave/prep oil any way. Then change the Derby's to 7 o'clock yellows, (as has already been wisely stated). Don't shave across the grain either, just go down twice for now, and use a good quality balm afterwards. Pm me and I'll send you some Yellow Unction to try.

Hey everybody, thanks for the encouraging level of response! Looks like I'm over doing it on the prep then, so I'll ease right back on all that and stick to cream/brush and aftershave, see how that helps.

As far as different blades go, I just received a sampler pack from ebay this morning with Feathers/Astra/Gillette 7's etc, so whilst I really appreciate the offer of some free blades from you kev, please hang on to those and see if they'll be of use to the next new guy :) I will however be taking up the Professor on his generosity with that Yellow Unction stuff!

Thanks again everyone, I'm putting the razor away until the weekend is over but I'll check in at a later date and let you all know how I get on :shave

Good luck with it mate. To start with, it can be a little trial and error until you really find out what is best for your face, but once there, and you know the routine you personally need to do, it is worth it and it opens up a whole new world of trials :lol:

OK so, three days in on the new routine...and whilst I don't want to speak too soon, things seem to be a lot better so far! The rash has gone and I'm getting little to no irritation now.

I've made some pretty big changes since last time...dropped the baby-oil, alum, witch hazel and the third (XTG) pass, and replaced the Derby blades with Gillette 7's - the only remaining ingredients are the Old Bond street cream/badger brush and the cheapo Tesco MX aftershave balm I'm using until something better comes along :D

It's not quite as close without that final pass, and without the oil the blade is prone to "skip" a little bit more, but I guess that's technique, plus I'll need a better brush at some point as the hairs on this one are pretty loose and it doesn't lather up spectacularly.

So I can't really say how it's any one thing which was giving me troubles before, since I've changed so much, but since things seem a lot better now it doesn't really matter! Just fingers crossed that they stay that way!

Well...having read up some more on the lather prep I'm happy to say I think I've got that sorted too! Turns out I was using far little cream on the brush, managed to get a lather tonight which was probably thick enough to hang wallpaper with :D
So it's 4 days in now, and whilst I don't want to speak too soon...I think I've cracked it! Just started using that Yellow Unction stuff too, and whilst I can't comment on its usage yet it certainly smells delicious :shave

Back
Top Bottom