English Comfort Meals

Chips and kebab meat has been my comfort food of late, as the chippy opposite my house sells that for a paltry fiver, which is below the threshold when you can't muster the enthusiasm to make proper food. I will be cutting back on such things for a bit though. I am most definitely daaaahn saaarf and we do have chips and curry sauce pretty much everywhere, and mushy peas. What gets you funny looks in the chippy here is "scraps" (they don't know what it is!) or asking for gravy on your chips. Hardly any chippies down here have gravy.

Of course, you can confuse them by asking for a bread roll by one of its regional names, but it's still a bread roll. I do like to ask for a pair of large floury baps but that's just because I'm 54 going on 14!

I
No. Tea Cakes have Currents in. They don't go well with Fish n Chips

Nah, that's a Current Tea Cake silly!
Well it depends.

Working up in Preston, office folk would talk about getting a "ham salad teacake" for lunch and, to them, a tea cake was an un-raisoned bun like a bap / barm cake.

Down south in Manchester, a cafe will do you a "toasted tea cake", which is a soft, raisoned, split bun..... Like a bap, but with raisons!!

Chips and kebab meat has been my comfort food of late, as the chippy opposite my house sells that for a paltry fiver, which is below the threshold when you can't muster the enthusiasm to make proper food. I will be cutting back on such things for a bit though. I am most definitely daaaahn saaarf and we do have chips and curry sauce pretty much everywhere, and mushy peas. What gets you funny looks in the chippy here is "scraps" (they don't know what it is!) or asking for gravy on your chips. Hardly any chippies down here have gravy.

Of course, you can confuse them by asking for a bread roll by one of its regional names, but it's still a bread roll. I do like to ask for a pair of large floury baps but that's just because I'm 54 going on 14!
I do miss bread cakes and barms. I wonder what they are called in Cumberland.

I

Well it depends.

Working up in Preston, office folk would talk about getting a "ham salad teacake" for lunch and, to them, a tea cake was an un-raisoned bun like a bap / barm cake.

Down south in Manchester, a cafe will do you a "toasted tea cake", which is a soft, raisoned, split bun..... Like a bap, but with raisons!!
Whilst living in the Ribble Valley, I did encounter the tea cake issue. I am happy calling a bap/bun/roll a bread cake or barm, but tea cake - never it's either a posh currant bun or a chocolate mallow.

If you like sauces try Stokes Sauces

Their brown sauce and tomato ketchup make Heinz taste like over vinegared glop.

Jams and Marmalade are perfect too, packed full of fruit and minimal sugar

No connection of course.

In terms of comfort food, I think that cottage/shepherds pie with a cheesy crispy mash topping takes some beating, I could manage some right now.

Haven't tried the tomato ketchup, but Wilkin & Sons brown sauce beat both HP and Stoke's for me, although the latter by a smaller margin

If you like sauces try Stokes Sauces

Their brown sauce and tomato ketchup make Heinz taste like over vinegared glop.

Jams and Marmalade are perfect too, packed full of fruit and minimal sugar

No connection of course.

In terms of comfort food, I think that cottage/shepherds pie with a cheesy crispy mash topping takes some beating, I could manage some right now.
Then surely it's a Cumberland pie...

Back
Top Bottom