England v India

4252687-young-indian-businessman-yuppie-type-holding-his-head-in-his-hands-looking-up-in-a-stressed-gesture-.jpg

Another great performance, we just seem so strong now, gone are the frailties of the first test. Hoping for a few more runs early tomorrow and then get some pressure on the Indian batsmen. Another fantastic effort by Cook although an unfortunate way to get out.

A poor 4th day first session for England, but just picked up a couple of wickets early in the afternoon session so hopefully we can keep that momentum going.

Make that 3 wickets.

My sister's a real fanatic. I said to her yesterday we'd probably be set around 70 to win then get bowled out. She planned to be up as usual at 3.30am. I bet she was sweating when we were 8 for 3.

I had a lie in 'til 5pm so missed all the fun.

Roll on Thursday.

When I read it was 8-3 at one point, I thought that must have put the jitters up those watching/listening live! At least they saw it out and hopefully, this will have just been a minor blip before the final test. Yes we can't lose the series but after those two performances, it'd be a great shame not to wrap up an emphatic series victory especially since India haven't lost a series by this margin since the all-conquering Windies in '83. Or so the Beeb says....:blush:

After the summer of cricket England have had this is a huge chance to 'come back brighter' and get the Cook era off to a flyer.

Brilliant win but the semi-fightback by Ashwin with the bat, and then getting the 3 early wickets will give India some hope for the next test.

In my younger years I was a groundsman, and part of my job was making cricket wickets, and its nice to read a post like this watching some good people enjoying the game, as it takes all day to cut, wet, roll, mark ,a wicket.
It took me two years of training before I was allowed to do the work on my own.

We've actually got a cricket pitch near the centre of the small town I love in. Used to play football on the lumpier parts of the outfield as we were allowed. Ball went near the square, ball didn't go anywhere ever again!

Gairdner said:
We've actually got a cricket pitch near the centre of the small town I love in. Used to play football on the lumpier parts of the outfield as we were allowed. Ball went near the square, ball didn't go anywhere ever again!
LOL we groundsman are over protective of the cricket squares, but if you did all the work your self you'd understand. Any imperfection will cause the ball to pitch up out of control and that can cause injury to the players.

How ever most wickets are imperfect and parts have bounce,the fast bowlers know this and will find it, and use it to psych out the batsman, LOL nothing like a cricket ball in your face at 130 MPH to upset the Indians. Players have been known in the past to have a chat with the likes of me to find out the inside info of the wicket. :s Its a gentleman's game :icon_twisted:

John said:
Gairdner said:
LOL we groundsman are over protective of the cricket squares, but if you did all the work your self you'd understand. Any imperfection will cause the ball to pitch up out of control and that can cause injury to the players.

How ever most wickets are imperfect and parts have bounce,the fast bowlers know this and will find it, and use it to psych out the batsman, LOL nothing like a cricket ball in your face at 130 MPH to upset the Indians. Players have been known in the past to have a chat with the likes of me to find out the inside info of the wicket. :s Its a gentleman's game :icon_twisted:

Your trade back then was valued I'm sure, John - it's an art to produce a pitch that gives something for all players in a match.

chrisbell said:
John said:
Gairdner said:

Your trade back then was valued I'm sure, John - it's an art to produce a pitch that gives something for all players in a match.

All of the straight line's is done with orange builders string , the edge of the wicket is also done with string that runs right next to the blades one half inch movement ends in disaster.LOL I've chewed up 1967 ransom's mower getting that poxy string mangled in my mower blades, the gov wasn't happy as the repair bill was over £1000 ops :blush:
But the other groundsman took the piss and said I was in the string club It happens to all of us. even to day when I strop my straight razors there is a guide line in my strop and it reminds me of doing that, brings a smile to my face every time.

Back
Top Bottom