England beat All Blacks by record score.

I was disappointed with the defeats to Australia and South Africa so hoped they do better against the All Blacks but never thought they'd win, let alone by a record margin. And yes, though a Scot, I have some English blood on my mother's side so have always cheered on any England team just not against my country of birth. Does anyone have any concerns that the New Zealand team were perhaps still a little under par due to the recent virus breakout their squad suffered? I'm certainly not saying that's why England won but it occurred to me that the virus could have potentially had an impact. Looking forward to the highlights!

:D

I watched the whole match. The pundits considered it the best ever English performance on home soil. So if you can, watch the highlights.

I doubt the virus issue was significant. The All Blacks looked good when England allowed them to play. Which wasn't often.

I watched the second half, sensational result but I've got to say everything and I mean everything fell England's way in that half, interception, knock ons in a try scoring position etc etc. Worth watching.

The Man U game Peter, whats happening?

Sorry for straying off-topic but the Man U game is mental! Goal scoring ping-pong! When I first looked at the score, it was 0-0 then 1-0 to Reading. Next time I looked Man U were leading 2-1 and when I checked again a little later Reading were back in front at 3-2! Thinking that it might've settled down a bit, I did the half time update only to find Utd were now winning 4-3! Mad, crazy and what football needs every now and then although I'm not sure the two team managers would agree. Heck of a result for West Ham earlier on too.

Gairdner said:
Sorry for straying off-topic but the Man U game is mental! Goal scoring ping-pong! When I first looked at the score, it was 0-0 then 1-0 to Reading. Next time I looked Man U were leading 2-1 and when I checked again a little later Reading were back in front at 3-2! Thinking that it might've settled down a bit, I did the half time update only to find Utd were now winning 4-3! Mad, crazy and what football needs every now and then although I'm not sure the two team managers would agree. Heck of a result for West Ham earlier on too.

No problem going off topic. I see the England ladies are walloping the All Blacks too.

I've been in heaven all day! Started with a most excellent shave with my new (arrived yesterday afternoon without Customs intervention) shiny Weber head on a UFO Kaiser handle with a Bleue Extra inside. Tigers beat Bath in a classic grudge match display of everything rugby union has to offer - and I mean everything! And then England trounced the All Blacks, which was very good in itself but to do so England had to play some very good rugby. England is still capable of playing good rugby! Mind, one third of the team were Tigers - as it was when England won the World Cup.

Happy days are here again!!

antdad said:
I watched the second half, sensational result but I've got to say everything and I mean everything fell England's way in that half, interception, knock ons in a try scoring position etc etc. Worth watching.

Dodgy refereeing decision led directly to the AB's first try.... South Africa scored a fluke try... these ae the differences between winning and losing.

As for England benefitting from SA knock ons - that is a direct result of playing catch up. England made the same errors in the last half hour against Australia - no-one used it as a reason for the defeat. I get mightily pissed off when England's successes are denigrated because the opposition were not on top of their game - you play what's in front of you and this should not detract from a great, yes great England performance.

We now have to see if it can be carried into the 6 Nations games.

We can knock about the rights and wrongs of refereeing decisions all day but I didn't mention any, what I mentioned is the AB's uncharacteristic handling mistakes and how they all seemed to fall England's way. England pulled out a great performance against a clearly jaded AB side, when they go twenty or even just ten games undefeated then they might earn the right to have their victories unquestioned.

England make handling errors, it's "Oh! bloody England!". All Blacks make handling errors and it's because they were a jaded team!

The point is - England played a lot of good rugby - for the first time in a long time. Their work rate was high from the kick-off. A big, fat cherry on the cake was the fact that they beat the All Blacks (who also played a lot of good rugby but looked very jaded after the final whistle).

A flash in the pan or the start of something big? We all hope for the latter!

Back
Top Bottom