Engineering advice required - again

Thanks to some very clever design work by Terrytoolpath, he came up with a blade holder that attaches to a standard 5mm handle and is sufficiently wide to get the correct bevel angle - I'll take some pictures at a later stage to show how it works.

So this morning I took a Feather pro blade that had been used twice and honed it on a Japanese natural stone then stropped on leather and sealskin ready for tonight's shave.

So how did it go in my Feather straight? I have to say that it added nothing and, in fact, made the blade a bit tuggy - after the first pass I finished off on a standard straight. I'm pretty sure that Terry's honing attachment was not at fault, I've come to the conclusion that these blades just won't be improved on a hone. Maybe they are coated and the hone removes it?

Anyway, thanks very much to Terry for his help.

These blade are really quite small, being about 52 x 8 mm and mere 0.25 mm thick ,about the same thickness as a full hollow german straight razor blade.
I felt that what I sent to Rob worth a test drive but wanted more time spending on it to make it easier to use , I was a bit worried the poor chap might cut himself loading the blade :s. Anyway's drop Rob a pm if anyone wants to give it a go

Terry

Back
Top Bottom