Closed Enamel paints for vintage Gillettes ?

Just wondering if there is an existing share / pass around for the black and red enamel paints, and if not, is there any appetite to start one?

They're only a couple of quid a pop for Humbrol tins, but since we'd only be needing a drip of each per razor, it seems a waste to not pass them around? If there's any interest I don't mind starting it off.

BTW, does anyone know the best paints to get for this?

I've got a red tip & am not happy with the Humbrol #73 matt wine red. It goes a bit too light & a shade too much towards pink as opposed to the original Gillette colour, even with a gloss varnish coating.
Ordered some #20 crimson gloss which is on it's way & I''m hoping will be a better match:

Humbrol-Enamel-20-Crimson-Gloss-Paint.jpg

I'll post pics of the Red Tip once I've painted it & I'd be glad to send it on to any other red tip owners if they want.

pjgh said:
Is this for the tips and the handles? There's also blue.

I forgot about the flare tips. I was just thinking about the numbers and red index marker on the fatboy etc. I would be happy to get the gloss red and black and if someone else wanted to start the matt red and blue (and Tan? :) ) for the tips, we could either combine them as a single kit, or have two separate kits going round. Postage might well decide which way to go with that.

So two lists to start with anyway:

Fatboy etc Red and Black gloss

1. PhilD

Gillette coloured tips: Red, and Blue matt

1. ???

zygalski said:
I've got a red tip & am not happy with the Humbrol #73 matt wine red. It goes a bit too light & a shade too much towards pink as opposed to the original Gillette colour, even with a gloss varnish coating.
Ordered some #20 crimson gloss which is on it's way & I''m hoping will be a better match:

Humbrol-Enamel-20-Crimson-Gloss-Paint.jpg

I'll post pics of the Red Tip once I've painted it & I'd be glad to send it on to any other red tip owners if they want.

I'm interested to see how that turns out. I repainted my set of redtips with #73 and a couple of coats of gloss clear about 18 months ago.

It's a bit lighter than the original paint, maybe a shade or two. It looks slightly browner to me in person. The only pic i have of the 3x re-painted and an original rocket is here.

Back
Top Bottom