Ebay razor ID?

Evening chaps - I was just browsing on Ebay and found this:

Razor

Even an idiot like me can see that it's open-comb and three-piece, but, after a check on Mr-Razor, I'm stumped by the box. Any idea of what it is and what it's worth?

pedro083 said:
Looks like a myatt box to me

Deffo not gillette and that's why you can't find it on mr razor

Cheers Pedro - now you mention it, I've found a previous thread on one of these. Do you reckon it's worth a punt?

EDIT: Hang on - I can't see a blade keeper plate - I can see the open comb head, handle and a chrome blade case, but no sign of the vital third section.

Cheers Pedro - I'll remove it from my watch list! I'm thinking about taking a cheap punt on something because a clock-restorer friend of my father has, it turns-out, an ultrasonic cleaner for small clock and watch parts, and he wouldn't mind a razor going in there, I understand...

EDIT - Steve, are we saying therefore that it is by Gillette, or an old-type copy?

I would say it's a gillette inspired set, don't know by whom though

there is no logo on the box, there is no gillette name or logo on the comb as you would expect and the blade securing pins are too short and rounded to be a gillette

Sunburyboy93 said:

there is no logo on the box, there is no gillette name or logo on the comb as you would expect and the blade securing pins are too short and rounded to be a gillette

Do you reckon it would take conventional DE blades?

chrisbell said:
Sunburyboy93 said:

The fact it says that there are Gillette blue blades in the blade case suggests it does.

Agree, don't see the Gillette logo and the comb is wrong. not a Gillette . Without a closer view; I'd say German??
Bought similar by mistake in past, can't remember being impressed. Seemed that something alway was not quite right.

Yellow Jim said:
chrisbell said:
Sunburyboy93 said:

The fact it says that there are Gillette blue blades in the blade case suggests it does.

True, but I just thought I'd ask.

It came in the post this morning. I'm going to give it a clean later this morning with a 1:4 white vinegar/hot water solution with some washing-up liquid, and I'll see if I can get photos uploaded then (no promises, though). I've got some barbicide on order from Amazon, so, once I've sanitised it, I'll try it out.

I did pop a blade in it from my used blank bank to see if it would accept them. It did, but the pins are smaller than the holes in the blade, allowing the blade to twist as the handle is screwed-on. In addition, the tabs at the ends of the blade stick out a long way, and, as well as the single, wrapped Blue blade in the blade case, there's a (very rusty) thicker blade without the tabs, which I think must be the original style of DE blade. All these factors taken together suggests to me that it's an old-type clone. Only mark on the case is the word "FOREIGN" stamped into the metal on the underside.

Back
Top Bottom