Eating out less - getting expensive

mpf9ret

Supporter
Supporter
I do like going out for a nice Lunch occasionally, especially when the weather is nicer. However, prices seem to be creeping up so much that such treats are becoming a bit expensive. Even the Chain restaurants are upping their prices that £ 17 for a main is becoming the norm, with Desserts at £6 + , add drinks and the Bill is easily £60 + without a tip for Two.
I know we live in the expensive SE, but do others feel that eating out is becoming a very occasional treat.

Yeah, we happened to be in town over lunchtime and popped into a cafe for a light lunch - Mrs had a starter as a main with a cocktail while I had a simple main and a drink. £65 before tip. That's not value to me ... other than not having to cook. If I was on my own, it would have been a Doner from the market for a fiver but Mrs isn't a scruff :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, we happened to be in town over lunchtime and popped into a cafe for a light lunch - Mrs had a starter as a main with a cocktail while I had a simple main and a drink. £65 before tip. That's not value to me ... other than not having to cook. If I was on my own, it would have been a Doner from the market for a fiver but Mrs isn't a scruff :ROFLMAO:
Even doners from the market and previously inexpensive restaurants have gone annoyingly up in the last two years or so.
They've also gone down quality-wise.

Reactions: PHR
Same thing is happening in the US.

Prices keep going up every year. Places are cutting back on either the food portions or the quality of ingredients. The staffing is less, so the service isn’t what it used to be.

This has caused me to cut back on eating out as much as I used too.

I used to eat out or have delivery most of the time, I had a long commute and didn't have much time before I was due to go to bed. I had 160 takeaways and restaurants to choose from. Now I have moved, I have around 20. Only 2 have a reasonable delivery fee. I am now cooking at home, although I am on my second pack of steak burgers lol. Coincidentally the village pub charges 16.00 for a steak burger and chips, at home it's 3.00...

I used to eat out or have delivery most of the time, I had a long commute and didn't have much time before I was due to go to bed. I had 160 takeaways and restaurants to choose from. Now I have moved, I have around 20. Only 2 have a reasonable delivery fee. I am now cooking at home, although I am on my second pack of steak burgers lol. Coincidentally the village pub charges 16.00 for a steak burger and chips, at home it's 3.00...
If you're short on time most of the time, perhaps slow cookers or sous vide might help.
I have just enough time that I don't need them usually (and kitchen space is somewhat contended), but I do often cook one pot meals (generally meat, rice or barley flakes and veggies) because I both like them and they save time.

If you're short on time most of the time, perhaps slow cookers or sous vide might help.
I have just enough time that I don't need them usually (and kitchen space is somewhat contended), but I do often cook one pot meals (generally meat, rice or barley flakes and veggies) because I both like them and they save time.
I have a lot of time now. Previously I would get up at 5.45am and arrive home around 6.30 to 7pm. And want to be in bed by 9.30/10pm.

I now get up at 8am and get home by 5.45pm at the latest. Currently I am frying a steak burger or roasting a joint at the weekend. But i do miss a slow cooked homemade Lamb Curry. As soon as I find the slow cooker in my unpacked boxes it's on the menu.

Running late home on Saturday night, 4 burgers and 4 cokes in TGi Friday, £100 inc paltry tip as service was crap. Not sure where this all going to end up…

If I go out now it is to a Wetherspoons, people can call them all they like but it is the only value Pub on the Highstreet in the U.K these days. Food is usually edible and decent value too. I stopped buying takeaways for my own personal reasons. I have noticed a decline in quality especially with takeaway Chinese food, most of it these days is bland and flavourless. Even Fish and Chips have gone through the roof meaning it is unaffordable for a family of four.

Mrs & I popped up to Harlow Carr Betty's for a drive out and spot of lunch. We had Fish & Chips each (and the fish was absolutely excellent!) glass of Proseco, bottle of low-alcohol beer, coffee and tea ... for about £60. Actually, given the price of Fish & Chips at a chippy I think this was actually pretty damn good!

That was a meal out that I do see value in - price and quality.

Back
Top Bottom