Dualit grinder

John wrote

Thanks for the heads up with the static electricity carl, I'll try the fabric softener trick with the grounds bin, I was wondering if there was a solution to that thank you Carl. My intention is to grind a couple of days worth at a time and store the grinds in a Kilner jar to stop them drying out. However I will have to wait untill tomorrow when the grinder is delivered before I can play

unquote

Folk with far greater knowledge of the topic than I - only a couple of weeks in - will correct me if I'm wrong - but - for the freshest coffee one delays the grinding to immediately prior to use. Besides which, with the 'number of cups' dial set to your need, this machine will have the coffee ground before you have finished the other preparations you need to make. I press the 'go' button on my way past to the cupboard to fetch a cup - the coffee is ground before I close the cupboard door. In a small kitchen!

It is fun to play at first, though!

If you have difficulty getting the bean hopper fitted atop the machine - I did - PM me.

Hi gents,well my grinder arrived this morning and I've been playing with the new toy:blush:
First off thanks Carl the softener tip works thank you :heart:
Sorry NTS for posting my recent acquisition in amongst the shaving posts still getting used to a coffee section my bad :blush:

After reading the instructions I realised that trying to get the grinder out without putting the been hopper on and then unscrewing the hopper and then pulling the top grinder out for cleaning is the way forward since the hopper would be on anyway, quiet logical when you think about it :s :s:icon_lol: (sorry about that, if you've got this model then you've probably got that joke )

The machine is very good and I'm impressed at how the hole thing works, its as you say Carl very quick and surprisingly the grind settings work with my machine perfectly,and that's very pleasing as there is no need to fiddle around with grind settings.

Wow What a difference the fresh ground coffee makes, it takes some convincing to add the cost of a grinder to the set up,but it's essential to get the best out of the machines.

You can tell the difference between pre ground packets and your own ground coffee, the pre ground coffee is dry when you compare the two in hand. Interestingly taste wise the pre ground coffee I got tasted slightly bitter, but the fresh ground tastes wonderful and in a world of its own, talk about seeing the light.

Coincidently my amusing remark about "coffee tasting like burnt cats shit"
Well all I can say is if you find yourself in darent valley hospital's A&E for 5 hours and start harbouring thoughts of using the coffee machine.....just don't. It was enough to convince me to get the grinder.

MrDentini said:
Hey thank you for this tip, I didn't know the Dualit brand, and I'm seeing good heavy-duty products on their site. Do you know of an online reseller?
Thanks.

Hi I live in the uk and got my one from O'Gormans
www.ogormans.co.uk/ for £61.99p

I must confess I didn't know a lot about Dualit untill Mrs J's Russle Hobbs toaster broke down (on the day the gantee ran out) Her choice of electrical goods is.....how shall I put this........shite!:s
So I was given the task of not only choosing the replacement,but paying for it :mad: after looking at toasters for ever...I found Dualit and remember them from my childhood school days ,and it works spot on,so my choice is better than hers :p to the wife.

Highly recommended for the money.

I've had a Dualit (4-slice) toaster for a good while now... expensive but much better with the levered "tilt-yer-toast-out" mechanism, rather than one of those sproingy devices that break after a couple of years. The toaster has lasted ten years and is therefore cheaper than the five nasty sproingy ones I would otherwise have got through.

In deference to the OP... also have a Dualit grinder. Although my coffee needs are quite modest (Bialletti moka pot and cafetiere) compared to some of the impressive expresso machines some have.... the difference to the grind is well worth it. I keep my coffee beans in Kilner jars and just put in enough beans for the individual cups I'm having, rather than keeping the beans in the hopper... mainly because I use different beans for different types of coffee.

WiffWaff said:
I've had a Dualit (4-slice) toaster for a good while now... expensive but much better with the levered "tilt-yer-toast-out" mechanism, rather than one of those sproingy devices that break after a couple of years. The toaster has lasted ten years and is therefore cheaper than the five nasty sproingy ones I would otherwise have got through.

In deference to the OP... also have a Dualit grinder. Although my coffee needs are quite modest (Bialletti moka pot and cafetiere) compared to some of the impressive expresso machines some have.... the difference to the grind is well worth it. I keep my coffee beans in Kilner jars and just put in enough beans for the individual cups I'm having, rather than keeping the beans in the hopper... mainly because I use different beans for different types of coffee.
I won't be buying any other brand of toaster that's for sure,that crappy sproingy mechanism is what brakes on other toasters its flimsy but as you say the *levered "tilt-yer-toast-out" mechanism* works because its simple and well made, I also keep my ground coffee in a Kilner jar I keep the beans in the fridge but I think I'll take a leaf out of your book and get another Kilner jar for the fridge that's a good idear:)

WiffWaff said:
In deference to the OP... also have a Dualit grinder. Although my coffee needs are quite modest (Bialletti moka pot and cafetiere) I keep my coffee beans in Kilner jars and just put in enough beans for the individual cups I'm having, rather than keeping the beans in the hopper... mainly because I use different beans for different types of coffee.

You must have found solutions I have failled to discover!

1. How do you knoow how many beans are needed to grind out a single cup - don't want the grinder running 'dry', after all. Nor too many so they spill when you change beans. Experience or measure?

2. How much cleaning do you do between types of bean? How do you get the hopper off without spilling beans everywhere?

I gave up and now use one type of bean till the bag runs out, then add new type to a nearly empty hoppper, have a 50/50 cup and then use the new beans till they run out, and so on ad nauseum. I use a stove-top and a cafetiere as well.

1. Got a little plastic measuring spoon (not sure where it came from originally). One and a half measures per person for cafetiere and two measures for the Moka pot. Think it's supposed to be one measure per person, but I like it strong. Just for me I use a three "demi-tasse" moka pot... the two spoonfuls fill it nicely. The grinder changes tone when the beans have run through... switch it off at the mains so it stops grinding and the clockwork mechanism runs down (that's how mine works anywaY)

2. Don't feel I need to clean it between bean types. When I do clean it I just lift out the plastic bits... the hopper on the top and the bit that catches the grounds and wash them out... but have to wait until they're completely dry before using again. Don't have beans spilling out as the hopper is always empty.

I usually use Java for the cafetiere and French for the moka pot. I've tried all types and found that these are the ones I like. The French beans give a nice "proper" coffee taste which goes well with the stronger stove top pot brew... Italian or expresso beans are a bit too strong and bitter. I don't find a bit of cross-contamination of beans bothers me... sometimes I swap the beans around... just because I can

PS... my grinder is a few years old now...maybe the newer ones have a different design

Tall_Paul said:
I've had a Dualit 2 slice toaster for about ten years now. It's the dogs nadgers. Been used every day during that time and never slipped a beat.
Good toasters well chuffed with my one I wonder who else in TSR has one in the kitchen?

John said:
Tall_Paul said:
I've had a Dualit 2 slice toaster for about ten years now. It's the dogs nadgers. Been used every day during that time and never slipped a beat.
Good toasters well chuffed with my one I wonder who else in TSR has one in the kitchen?

Bought one for my Mother in Law for XMAS, shes 94 so I expect it won't be long before it's in our kitchen.

Lose the beard said:
John said:
Tall_Paul said:

Bought one for my Mother in Law for XMAS, shes 94 so I expect it won't be long before it's in our kitchen.

I have the feeling your right about that one sadly :s ( I did :icon_lol::icon_twisted: at your comment ) But when you do the maths at how long these toasters work for I figure that there's a 99.9999999999999999999999% chance that that toaster will find its way into your kitchen ( unless some fucker gets to it first,)

I seem to remember when my grandparents died there was much five fingered discounts from his house by family members :dodgy:

John said:
Lose the beard said:
John said:
Tall_Paul said:

I have the feeling your right about that one sadly :s ( I did :icon_lol::icon_twisted: at your comment ) But when you do the maths at how long these toasters work for I figure that there's a 99.9999999999999999999999% chance that that toaster will find its way into your kitchen ( unless some fucker gets to it first,)

I seem to remember when my grandparents died there was much five fingered discounts from his house by family members :dodgy:

I'm the only one with keys to her house :D :D

Back to coffee, I'm sitting here now enjoying a lovely Double Espresso made with Happy Donkey Sumatra Mocha Coffee Beans.

I'll be in London next Wednesday so will be able to pick up some more beans from Monmouth :)

John said:

Yep - got a 2 slice with a basket thing. Cost me £155 (much to the amusement / bemusment of my tight fisted work colleagues*) back in about 1995.

* one of them was so tight-fisted he got married in brand new Toe-tectors as they were given out free at work. You can imagine his incredulity when I told him about the toaster :icon_rolleyes:

Lose the beard said:
John said:
Lose the beard said:
John said:
Tall_Paul said:

I'm the only one with keys to her house :D :D

Back to coffee, I'm sitting here now enjoying a lovely Double Espresso made with Happy Donkey Sumatra Mocha Coffee Beans.

I'll be in London next Wednesday so will be able to pick up some more beans from Monmouth :)
:icon_lol:
I was looking on happy donkey's web sight yesterday,I think when my coffee beans run out I'll be buying from there,most impressed with the range on offer, sadly I'm all coffee'd up at the moment otherwise I'd join you.

Yesterday I found an answer to a problem I've had with coffee for years, with instant coffee if I drink 3 cups my guts start going bad, I think it's the way they turn the liquid coffee into granular form probably is the culprit,
How ever since grinding my own Ive had no problems at all, I've often wondered if any body else has had this problem with instant?

Back
Top Bottom