Don't you hate it when...

You have your shave and there are a few little weepers afterwards. The alum block clears them up but then you put on a balm/aftershave and they start right up again. It is a choice of dry skin with unwashed alum or tissue paper. Anyone know a way around this?

@matteob this may or may not work for you but for what it's worth I have found the following to have worked for me.

First make sure you hold the alum block against the weeper for at least ten seconds, and second delay putting the aftershave/balm on for 10 or even 20 minutes after rinsing off the alum. A bit of pain if you don't have the time but I found that those 10 - 20 mins allows the weeper to stop, I assume from natural coagulation which is part of "Hemostasis".

I also tried the proraso cut healing gel, this works very well but does leave an opaque film which can be noticeable, better than a bit of tissue I suppose.

Never tried a styptic pencil but I believe they are very effective, as I understand it a styptic pencil should be more effective than an alum block at actually stopping bleeding. The alum is just an astringent which can help, but the styptic pencil is purposely designed to stem bleeding, and is intended to work on small cuts so I would imagine this is just the job for sorting weepers.

My Dad always just used tissue paper,so that is what I used for years, just needed to remember removing before walking into work or turning up at a customer/client site!

Last edited:
I tend to add a bit of water to the main, flat surface of the alum and rub it with my thumb - idea is to create a sort of 'slurry', even though it just appears like water. Rub said alum block on face and leave for a couple of minutes, rinse off, leave a couple of minutes and then apply your balms/aftershaves etc. Haven't had any issues using it like this.

IMHO the alum block is only capable with dealing with very minor weepers whereas a styptic pencil will stop most including the odd cut. The downside to using the styptic pencil is that it will leave a white powdery residue once it dries but it's easily wiped away with a damp tissue.

Taffy.

Interesting discussion. I seem to be suffering from skin "breakouts" more often these days and, when I do get a cut, it can be an absolute bastard to stop.

The thing about proper razor blades is that they are so sharp that you often don't even feel the cut; the first sign of it is a red bloom on your chin. Then, of course, because the blade has cut the tiny blood vessels so cleanly, clotting cannot take place easily and it can bleed for ages.

I've noted the above comments on the use of styptic pencils etc but I've tried almost all of the "blood stopping" products (there are only a few of them, compared to soaps or blades) and none of them are any good for anything other than a very minor bleeder. Styptic pencils (both those in the black holders and the long job in the plastic tube), Pro Raso gel, styptic matches (two brands) - none of them work on anything other than a very minor cut.

To avoid staining my shirts, I've invested in a few of those small, circular plasters - the ones that you get in an assorted pack that you wonder what on earth they are for because they are so small - and they are ideal for shaving cuts. At least they contain the bleeding until clotting starts.

Back
Top Bottom