"Don't believe the hype"

I've been reflecting on how many razors I've bought and sold over the years. Many of them were accompanied by much hype but they didn't work out for me. 2022 and 2023 in particular saw more disappointments than successes. Conversely, I have thoroughly enjoyed some less popular razors.

Ultimately the following is only my opinion but these are the razors that I think deserve their hype:

Timeless Ti .95
Blutt (especially the 1.20)
Karve CB
Razorock Gamechanger .84

Popular razors that i didn't get on with:

Blackland Blackbird
Blackland Vector (Stainless and Titanium)
Rex Konsul
Karve Overlander
Lambda Athena

I've limited these lists to what I'd call current popular razors.

My post tells us nothing. I just felt like sharing this with the internet.

I ‘may’ have gone a little crazy since I started the hobby and dived straight into a number ill thought out purchase of hyped razors despite numerous warnings.

Popular razors that I didn't get on with:

Blackland Blackbird and Blackland Vector I found both too aggressive for daily shaving despite being well made.
Karve CB brass. A lovely shave but for some reason I couldn’t stand the brass smell/taste, despite it not bothering me on the Hone 15 or Stando Rod.

I loved
My Tatara Masamune still the razor I regret most letting go.
The Rockwell 6s has never given me a bad shave.

These last few rarely get hype but I have found seem easily looked over.
I love my Stando Rod that little more than the ATT SE I had.
And the Occam’s Oren of course.

However it is all horses for courses I guess and everyone will have something slightly different that works for them.

Flip it around and see that the classics are classic for a reason.

Ten years and quite literally thousands of razors through my hands ... and, all I need to say is Gillette Tech, ASR 1912 and *89.

I'm definitely someone who prefers the classics but I really enjoying seeing producers making new razors, and those who to take pleasure in buying those new products.

It's great to see this hobby having something for everyone.

For me, classic razors are good but modern razors often are better. I particularly like:

Blackland Blackbird
Blackland Vector
Merkur 39c
Tatara Masamune Nodachi
Rockwell 6S

But, failed to get good results with:

Karve Christopher Bradley plates B,C,D and E
Razorock Gamechanger .68 and .84 and Hawk v2 aluminium
Ikon Standard, Short Comb, 101, 102, and X3
Merkur 34c

In my limited experience the only thing consistent is the inconsistency!

The Rockwell 6 in either form (Chrome or Stainless) is a well regarded razor. I entirely agree, it will NEVER leave my den (again). Gillette Tech, a must have for any wet shaver considering themselves serious about this hobby. Couldn't agree more!

So, purchasing a razor influenced by the general populous trends seems to be the way to go. All until I spent money on things like Blackland Vector, Carbon CX Ti, Karve Brass and a recent disappointment Tatara Muramasa. One's holy grail razor is another's purgatory of this hobby's sins.
Blessed may be the BST section of this Forum.

Back
Top Bottom