Does the Freewrite do anything for you?

The Hemingwrite/Freewrite caused a bit of a resurgence in mobile typewriters when it was successfully funded on Kickstarter.
It does have a full, physical keyboard (no membrane but a rather actuated mechanical keyboard) and WiFi connection which I really like...but I'm struggling with really seeing the value proposition compared to just using a laptop. I think it's the concept of 'distraction free writing' maybe.

auto_freewrite1457436627.jpg

The first batch has been issued and the reviews are rather positive. The next batch is about to go out in a month or so.

At $500 it's a tad too high for me but there is indeed something a little bit compelling about this distraction free retro "mechanical" typewriter.
Does it do anything for you?

I guess I could always pick up an Alphasmart 3000 for $20 on Amazon ;)

you can easily achieve similar with a mechanical keyboard and the selfcontrol app on a Mac for about £100.

It does seem like a lot of money for what you get though the price isnt outrageous for a very small scale and unique item.

I know they are going for an analogue feel with the switches but couldn't they free up some real estate for a larger screen. You could probably just get an old word processor for very little if you really wanted a sole purpose machine.

Back
Top Bottom