Does anyone know the make of this?

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone might be able to tell me the make of this travel razor?
It looks very worn and belonged to my granddad. My dad seems to think it was army issue so I would think perhaps he acquired it during national service. This is the only razor my granddad owned and was last used on the day he died in 1977 and I was 5. It has never been used since that day until a couple of weeks ago when I decided to have a try with it, that's 35 years.

You'll notice that the inside of the top piece is grey, this is some sort of solder. Apparently my granddad had it modified so it was more aggressive according to my dad.

I'm only interested in knowing more of it's origin, I'm sure it's worthless, but to me it's priceless as it's the only thing I have of my granddad so it will always stay with me and then perhaps one day my son.

razor1.jpg

razor2.jpg

razor3.jpg

razor4.jpg

razor5.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Voltstick said:
Hi all,

I wondered if anyone might be able to tell me the make of this travel razor?
It looks very worn and belonged to my granddad. My dad seems to think it was army issue so I would think perhaps he acquired it during national service. This is the only razor my granddad owned and was last used on the day he died in 1977 and I was 5. It has never been used since that day until a couple of weeks ago when I decided to have a try with it, that's 35 years.

You'll notice that the inside of the top piece is grey, this is some sort of solder. Apparently my granddad had it modified so it was more aggressive according to my dad.

I'm only interested in knowing more of it's origin, I'm sure it's worthless, but to me it's priceless as it's the only thing I have of my granddad so it will always stay with me and then perhaps one day my son.

razor1.jpg

razor2.jpg

razor3.jpg

razor4.jpg

razor5.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Lovely piece of history, I would have it restored back to its full glory!! With the expertise on the forum you will soon know the razor origin

It's certainly German, there were many makers producing the same design which I think was originally a Gillette design from circa 1910-1920, something like that.
There may be a makers name on the case somewhere, Koenig and Befa were two that manufactured identical travel razors to this. It could be anywhere from 1920 to 1950 but looking at the condition and the unplated brass it's probably quite early. Not worth a great deal monetarily, but of course worth the world to you. Nice story behind it.

I know the make. The brand is called "use this and cut your entire face off withg one pass and let the the rust infection do you in." Thats the make.

noobstu said:
I know the make. The brand is called "use this and cut your entire face off withg one pass and let the the rust infection get you you." Thats the make.

Thank you, yet another quality, value added post there noobstu. Your insights never ceases to spread enlightenment across the interweb.

I would love to have something that belonged to my Granddad or even my Dad, but it was not to be. I agree with what you have been told about its origins, I have the same set, if you send it to Dave at restored razors and explain why you want it sorted (if thats what you want?) he would bring it back to life for you? It will never be worth much in monetary value but to you and your family its priceless so it may be worth getting it done?

tadpole said:
noobstu said:
I know the make. The brand is called "use this and cut your entire face off withg one pass and let the the rust infection get you you." Thats the make.

Thank you, yet another quality, value added post there noobstu. Your insights never ceases to spread enlightenment across the interweb.

Did I detect a hint of sarcasm there, frogspawn?

Thanks for the replies. It's nice to get a bit more info on it.
Not sure if I want to restore it. I'll never use it again, since it did nearly tear my face of :)
I think I may like to keep it as it was when granddad last used it.

Voltstick said:
Thanks for the replies. It's nice to get a bit more info on it.
Not sure if I want to restore it. I'll never use it again, since it did nearly tear my face of :)
I think I may like to keep it as it was when granddad last used it.

I'd say that do that mate. Have it as a keepsake. A memento to treasure.

Back
Top Bottom