Do you discriminate to the same degree with non related shaving products...

Over the years I have learnt to become a super discriminator in terms of my shaving product preferences; no doubt, like many other forum members. A razor can be a smidgen too mild or 1mm on a knot loft can be the difference between keeping a brush in rotation or being banished to the never to be seen again drawer. The same with soaps and blades. On occasion, I have found that I have started to be just as discriminating (should that read anal) with other product purchases. Do you find yourself being more discriminating with other product purchases outside of wet shaving, or were you always super choosy or careful with your product purchases?

Over the years I have learnt to become a super discriminator in terms of my shaving product preferences; no doubt, like many other forum members. A razor can be a smidgen too mild or 1mm on a knot loft can be the difference between keeping a brush in rotation or being banished to the never to be seen again drawer. The same with soaps and blades. On occasion, I have found that I have started to be just as discriminating (should that read anal) with other product purchases. Do you find yourself being more discriminating with other product purchases outside of wet shaving, or were you always super choosy or careful with your product purchases?
In a word, yes. Most of my shaving and non shaving purchases will have been well researched and compared before purchase, only on the rare occasion will I go mad and buy something on impulse without first evaluating it but by and large my meds take care of that! :) P.

Just out of curiousity, what are your preferences for shaving related purchases? I don't buy that many products, but generally I try to keep to my preferences which are the following
- Milder razors (eg Techs)
- Gillette blades
- boar/synth brushes around the 24mm knot width
- Shaving sticks/tallow soaps

My other hobby are guitars, and I do take a huge amount of time to research my necessary purchases but once they come through the door I have not much need to look for much else.

I research things incessantly before I buy them. Particularly for whichever fad rages for me at the time.

It's interesting how we apply value to things as well. I wouldn't think twice of spending £60 on shaving equipment that I've heavily researched yet it feels like a lot more money for something else (that I've probably researched) and there's a high probability that something else will be used more frequently.

Just out of curiousity, what are your preferences for shaving related purchases? I don't buy that many products, but generally I try to keep to my preferences which are the following
- Milder razors (eg Techs)
- Gillette blades
- boar/synth brushes around the 24mm knot width
- Shaving sticks/tallow soaps

My other hobby are guitars, and I do take a huge amount of time to research my necessary purchases but once they come through the door I have not much need to look for much else.

With soap I am fairly settled on the Italian tallow croaps but I do enjoy giving artisan soaps a whirl but I rarely purchase a second soap. With brushes firm backbone, short lofted, small knots in the main, for boar, badger and mixes -. there are a few exceptions. I have been through many synthetics all have been benched except the CH2S which has been a slow burner for me but just gets better the more I use it; I have come to the conclusion that it is a great brush but it took me a while to gel with it. I have yet to find a horse hair brush that is great for me although the Zenith 50:50 is ok. For DE's mostly medium efficiency but I do also enjoy razors at the opposite end of the spectrum (ASD2 & R41).

I'm the same with cars, car detailing, and beer brewing stuff.

With detailing, I've spent so much time researching and I enjoy it. My Audi is black, and black shows every mark. I've become a bit obsessed at avoiding light swirls and marks, and I like a perfect finish. New car on 27th March, and I'm already considering a £150 air dryer to cut down on drying marks and scratches, which happen with towels. No normal person is this obsessed

I'm the same with cars, car detailing, and beer brewing stuff.

With detailing, I've spent so much time researching and I enjoy it. My Audi is black, and black shows every mark. I've become a bit obsessed at avoiding light swirls and marks, and I like a perfect finish. New car on 27th March, and I'm already considering a £150 air dryer to cut down on drying marks and scratches, which happen with towels. No normal person is this obsessed

Ah another detailing man eh? I've got so many auto finesse and car chem products waiting to be opened....it's crazy.

As for the original post, i always do tons of research into any product I buy. I'm not experienced enough with DE to know what I like and what I don't so I figured the best thing to do was start with what the majority of people like and go from there. That's probably except for the razor. I have different circumstances to most people on here so with help and advice from you good folks I went for something that suits my specific needs.

Back
Top Bottom