Do I need a badger?

This question is from a newbie who has never used a badger brush and also from his cost conscious wife :lol:
Since joining this forum I feel like a kid in a sweet shop reading all the delights that are described on here.
I have been happily face lathering creams using either a Men U bristle (boar?) and a Body Shop synthetic and I can't say I have too many problems with either of them, but now you have sown this nagging seed of doubt in my mind that there is something better out there.
So what are the real benefits of a badger brush over one made of bristle or even synthetic?
They would have to be substantial because being a vegetarian I have some (not insurmountable) issues with killing badgers, but I understand that badger pelts are in plentiful supply in China as they are 'bi-products of the food chain' - I hope that isn't what I think it is :eek:

Badgers work well for non hard soaps..try one..then use a boar brush..even synthetic works fine for creams and softer soaps..but I would for an original brush..hence I have 1 of each an Omega boar brush 22mm and a Country Uncle Badger brush 24mm

Best of Luck!
Blades

I think you should try one. Badger brushes are such a common element of wet-shaving. They are not everyone's cup of tea but if you don't try you'll never know. If you invest in a quality brush and look after it you could always sell it on or swap it if you don't get on with it.

Once you master using them properly, your present brushes will help you to have a really great shave. You don't need an expensive brush. None of us do.

If the use of badger hair bothers you, avoid badger brushes.

Having said all this, in my opinion, a decent badger brush is one of the joys of shaving. Benefits? All brushes will generate pretty good lather. But If you like massaging your face with a brush as you apply your lather, badger hair gives by far the most satisfying experience.

I'm surprised Donkey Brushes haven't shown up yet!.. :lol:
This is also pretty odd: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Vtg-Rare-SHAVING-BARBER-BRUSH-HARDRIGHT-Horse-Hair-/310308131096?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483fce5118#ht_1473wt_905">http://cgi.ebay.com/Vtg-Rare-SHAVING-BA ... 1473wt_905</a><!-- m -->

moodymick said:
Well, if I was you I would go for a second hand badger or try horse :|

Dandy Highwayman said:
So what are the real benefits of a badger brush over one made of bristle or even synthetic?

Compared to a badger, the Men-U brush is like a wirebrush - the badger will hold more water, tend to generate lather more easily and more of it. It will also tend to be more flexible.

Dandy Highwayman said:
They would have to be substantial because being a vegetarian I have some (not insurmountable) issues with killing badgers, but I understand that badger pelts are in plentiful supply in China as they are 'bi-products of the food chain' - I hope that isn't what I think it is :eek:

That's entirely your call. I can't help you with your feelings.

Thanks for all your replies, comments and suggestions.

You all appear to be pretty much unanimous that a badger brush is something I should try so I'm on the lookout for one.
I have seen photos of some jaw droppingly beautiful ones on this site. but I suspect this will also reflect in the price.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a starter badger brush that will provide the badger experience without breaking the bank?
moodymick's idea of a 2nd hand brush seems sound so I'll keep an eye on the Trade section, I was also intrigued by the idea of a horsehair brush after I realised it wasn't a wind up :lol: .
A bit of research found them described as having '85% of the good attributes of badger hair and 85% of the good attributes of boar hair'.
As they seem to be quite rare, I was wondering if anyone on here has tried a horse hair brush to be able to compare it to a badger?

Well if you are after a good value but good quality badger brush the general consensus is to go for a New Forest Brush.

PM Urban Hermit for info on horse hair brushes as he's done quite a bit of research in to them and has tried a few.

Dandy Highwayman said:
A bit of research found them described as having '85% of the good attributes of badger hair and 85% of the good attributes of boar hair'.

A bit more research and you'll discover that the person that said that is a plonker.

Maybe.

I have three badgers and three horses.

My fav is a badger, but that has more to do with the balance of the handle than the quality of the brush. My top is

1. Badger (Merkur)

2. Horse (Vie Long)

3. Badger (Frank Shaving)
3. Horse (Vie Long)
(they are as good as one another)

5. Horse (Bestshave)

6. Badger (uNBRANDED)

Quality Vie Long horse hair brushes can be acquired from gifts&care in Spain. Juan is excellent to deal with.

/m

Yellow Jim said:
Dandy Highwayman said:

A bit more research and you'll discover that the person that said that is a plonker.

Interesting. Care to enlighten me? PM if you prefer. :p

Back
Top Bottom