Di Canio taking over Sunderland.....

Frankieabbott said:
We werent good enough over 2 legs against Benfica. Two chances did hit the post over there in the Stadium of Light, (the real one!!) but Benfica showed us how to play two leg competition football. Tomorrow is a big day in the seasons for us and the Mackems. Obviously a win for us will just about ease our relegation worries....but I don't want to see Sunnerland go down.
When I was a lad, my old man said that I could choose whoever I wanted to support...but if I didn't choose Newcastle, then he would disown me! I chose Newcastle anyway and have found out later that he wouldn't disown me....but that he would have killed me if I chose Sunnerland! My lads today show no respect. One supports Arsenal...and the other hates football. Sign of the times I suppose.

Your Dad sounds canny tolerant, mine never even gave me a choice. I think you should be okay for avoiding relegation. Though I would be lying if I said I wouldn't get any enjoyment from seeing Newcastle go down again and even have a sting in League One, I did start at a comprehensive in Durham in 1992. It looks like it's between Sunderland, Stoke, Wigan and Villa for the last relegation spot. It would be funny if Villa were relegated after we sold them Bent and even though I laughed when they took the mickey out of relegating Newcastle it would be karma for them.

Aye, are there not Monkey Hangers as well? I had a mate who worked for a Royal Mail depot in Sunderland but he was an outsider and a Leeds fan. His boy is a Sunderland season ticket holder. His ex-wife, a Sunderland lass, once got chatted up and mistaken for a Geordie - she decked the fella!

Gairdner said:
Aye, are there not Monkey Hangers as well? I had a mate who worked for a Royal Mail depot in Sunderland but he was an outsider and a Leeds fan. His boy is a Sunderland season ticket holder. His ex-wife, a Sunderland lass, once got chatted up and mistaken for a Geordie - she decked the fella!

Monkey Hangers are Hartlepool, Sanddancers are South Shields, Pit Yackers or Yackers are from the Durham pit villages and Woolybacks anywhere more rural.

Thanks for that, squire. Monkey hangers, now why'd they get that name and would you mind awfully explaining the others? Very interesting is this. :D

Monkey Hangers because they hung a monkey thinking it was a Frenchman during the Napoleonic wars. Sanddancers because there was a settled Arabic community there in the 19th century and lots of trading with Arab traders. Pit Yackers because each village had its own pitmatic dialect. Woolybacks I think is just a generic term for people from the countryside.

Nowt like a mauling from your nearest and dearest rivals to give everyone a reality check. Pardew has to earn his corn over the last 5 games or so to seasons end. Going down isn't an option. Only plus today was seeing Poalo looning it up on the touchline. Inspired !

Superb display today. Three desperately-needed points. It's not over yet but Di Canio has impressed. Oh, and winning at St James Park is always special. :D

Cracking game to watch, and am chuffed for Di Canio, he is football, football, football and his life consuming love of the game should help keep the club going in the right direction.

Shame we didn't go in for him................................

The Geordie Shaver said:
Doubtless to say I kept a low profile at work today , one Geordie versus a Smoggie , a Monkey Hanger , a Sand Dancer and 13 Mackem's , Pardew has a lot to answer for.....

After the 5-1 game I was fairly new in an office full of women so no one knew I was a Sunderland supporter. One of the lasses was Newcastle and had been to the match and kept going on about it, it was excruciating until I had to be somewhere else in the afternoon. I didn't mention Smoggies before as I didn't want to bring Yorkshire into it :icon_wink:

I know how you feel, Geordie. Last year we hammered city rivals Hibs 5-1 in the Scottish Cup final and finished well above them in the league. It was the first all Edinburgh cup final for over 100 years and we wiped the floor with them. Back in '06 we thrashed them 4-0 in the semi-final before going on to win the cup. This year it's a disaster! They knocked us out of the cup, we're third bottom whilst they're well up the table and they made a stirring comeback in the cup semi-final to book their place in their second cup final in a row. They'll be up against Celtic who should win but you just never know. One of our biggest bragging rights is the fact that the last time they won the cup, the open top bus that toured the capital was horse-drawn! T'was 1902! Every year we add one to the chant, "110 and you've no." Could all go the way of the pear at 111. Another one I remember belting out at the final in '06 was, "When Hibs go up tae lift the Scottish Cup, we'll be deid, we'll be deid!" Reckon I better get to the Docs.....

I'd take Martin O'Neill with open arms but he'd never come near us in a month of Sundays! If ever Paulo comes back to Scotland it likely not have anything to do with us either. Alan Pardew probably even hasn't heard of us!

Back
Top Bottom