Decent Strops?

Any suggestions where to get, obtain, buy a Decent leather strop?...
I have a Westholme strop and would like another strop of at least the same quality!... Alex Westholme sadly doesn't produce that many due to other commitments, and would like something sooner rather than later.
Any ideas???
Cheers all, Andy

Had a couple of nice strops from Tony Miller over in the states, got a roughout and notovan from him both with linen backing and leather handles.

I've only had a handful of strops so there may be better options out there but I was happy with them.

Cheers

Marc

should be able to find a suede type calfhide strop with Solingen written on the body of the strop somewhere pretty easily over on your side, not as nice as a vintage horse shell but still a blue chip stock

leather should feel flat and homogeneous to the blind hand

You could look at Robert Gallacher (AKA Boaby G). To be honest I haven't had one (yet) but they're well thought of, from what I've read.

My strop came from Billy Graham (Billyji1 on Ebay) and I would classify it as functional and well made, I cannot find fault with it but its probably not one of those things you covet for years but can't afford or justify. It's a good value working strop. I suspect the Boaby G ones have a more premium feel, based on pictures I've seen. Depends what exactly you're looking for.

Last edited:
Cheers guys I will check out all the suggestions you put forward!... I guess what I am after is a Westholme equivalent or better!?!
That said I am more than happy with my Alex Westholme strop and would like another one similar or better! Especially whilst the wife's in a good mood or at least not paying attention

Google Kanayama strops - he’s recently retired but you may be able to buy one new from the couple of dealers who sell them. I’ve no idea what they sell for nowadays but their lack of future availability may make them even more expensive in future.

For what it’s worth you probably won’t do better than Westholme - but there is another maker in Europe whose products are excellent - Scrupleworks.

@UKRob yes I have looked at the Kanayama strops and sadly they are like rocking horse shit!?! The noise in the background is the wife threatening to run my TI razor over my nuts if I so much as think about buying one of those!!! Damn! I thought she was asleep!?!
Scrupleworks was the one I was thinking of too just couldn't remember the name, so cheers for that.

I promise you, I am not a Harley Charlie or a mighty morphin' saggy-arsed Power Ranger! I'm one of those less noticeable riders in goretex on a modern Triumph. No tassels were harmed in the production of this feature film.

However 2 of my mates ride Hardly-Dangerous and whilst I love them dearly, I do rib them about Officer Ponch out of CHiPs. (Incidentally, the Chips bikes were actually Kawasaki cruisers in police trim, so not even an accurate joshing!)

@hotmetal Triumph Speed Triple??? Me I can admire the Harley Tractors but wouldn't want one. Back in the day I loved my sports bikes, still do! But of an age now where I couldn't ride it to its full potential which would and does irk me somewhat!?! So now I'm happy to sit on a good old muscle bike Yamaha Vmax 1200 and NO not in full black leather and tassels either! Bike jeans and Brown worn looking leather jacket! These days the state of the roads make hard fast sport bike riding a nightmare plus with councils only cutting the verges once a year, so not able to see clearly round bends kind of kills the fun element too!!! But hey it was good while it lasted, now I'm happy to see the country side as I zip through but not stupidly fast!?! Well sometimes at least, still need to twist it now and again!

Close. Street Triple. I bought it wanting something a bit more nimble than my old Fazer 1000 for London in rush hour. I had sports bikes in the 90s when that was all anyone ever rode, but ended up mostly touring and commuting so I got the Fazer. By then, sports bikes had become so track focused and the roads so bad, that they (ahem) 'paved the way' for the adventure bike thing. I wanted something in between, always fancied a Speed Triple but the Street was more fun. I've had it 10 years now, love it!

It's a shame, Yamaha essentially killed the Vmax when they brought out the later one at a price of £22k and no demo models. If you wanted one you had to just order one. Who drops 22 gees on a bike they've never seen? Well actually I know one guy who might, but I wonder how many they sold. Mind you they did build them for a good few years so they must have sold some but I think I have only ever seen one of the 1700s. It was emission regs that finally killed it off. The early ones are the classics, almost unchanged for 20 years, you still see loads of them at bike meets like Box Hill.

Last edited:
I miss my old Guzzi Cali. 1076cc, transverse V-twin, shaft drive and a muckle chrome pipe up each side. Shite electrics but sounded amazing and looked that way too. A relaxed ride but not the HD sofa sprawl- slightly more up right with more bend in the knee. Plenty torque and enough horses for me. Black 2001, 80 year anniversary model. Ahhh….

Back to the original topic: I’d go for a Robert Gallacher. He’s a mate of FB and a proper, good guy. I have a few leatherwork skills and he’s advising me how to make my own. Very approachable guy too.
Thanks for mentioning him, I'd never heard of him before, I've ordered a strop from him today, like you said, a very approachable gentleman.

Back
Top Bottom