DE vs. SE vs. Straight - sharpness and smoothness

I have been using a variety of SEs recently with GEM stainless steel coated blades. I find that I get closer shaves with SEs than DEs and often less irritation too. However, DE blades normally feel sharper and smoother on the face. I have been wondering why this is, and also how a straight shave would compare.

Obviously, there is a much greater range of DE blades so I expect the quality of the best DE blade to be better than the quality of the best SE blade. However, I am sure that is only part of the story.

Does a thicker SE blade flex less on the face and therefore feel less forgiving (even though it is actually doing a better job)? Does the greater flexing of a DE blade potentially lead to more irritation? Is a straight shave the perfect solution as it will be sharper than a mass produced SE blade but with similar stiffness?

chicken neck said:
Is a straight shave the perfect solution as it will be sharper than a mass produced SE blade but with similar stiffness?

Potentially yes but not because it is necessarily sharper but smoother (edge more polished) and just as stiff if not stiffer depending on the style of straight.

agreed!..str8 razors are known for their closeness..but they dont have a bar like a DE/SE razor for protection against doing something... well..irresponsible..but most situations with a str8 occur at the finger level..not the face for the most part :shave

I suspect that the SE blade is held more firmly along its sole cutting edge where all the pressure can be concentrated as against the DE where (in general) the pressure tends to be centrally applied in order to immobilise two cutting edges, however that's just a guess on my part. Got to say that I get a closer (and more nick free ) shave with my SEs than with my Des, however not as long lasting as when my cataracts & less steady hand allowed me to use my straight.

JohnnyO. :shave

Back
Top Bottom